Mag chuck servicing

Ropata

Registered
Registered
What do you guys think of the warning under my chuck? Is there a possibility of demagnetisation somehow?20220814_161507.jpg20220814_161526.jpg

Results have varied as reported by a large number of people on the interwebs.....
The general idea is that if you remove the magnetic slide part from the stationary poles, the magnets can loose their strength. Mind you, that is actually very difficult to do.
If you just want to clean the insides and replace the oil, then you shouldn't have any problems.
I've done it with several mag chucks without any change in magnetism....
This is NOT advice, just reported experience.

Why do you need to take it apart, is it not working properly?

I took mine apart and removed the sliding magnet from the top plate, before understanding the risk of losing magnetism. It did not adversely affect my chuck, and the process was pretty helpful so I could fabricate new linkage parts.

Almost certainly has lost some oil - or it got thick over time, and you have some rust from condensation or coolant in it. Try washing out the oil with a solvent like kero or naptha and see what it looks like. The blow it dry as much as you can through the fill/drain hole(s). Then refill with clean oil and see if it works more freely. Only open it if that doesn't fix it.

Back