Mag DTI base, mill spindle proximity

Aha, now we are getting somewhere. Where id you get the knockoff clamp?

I'll go look for the Tom Lipton video too.

I forget but I'm pretty sure I got it on ebay. No name brand.

Ya I would only anticipate putting DTI on it which is pretty light. I have the 8mm stub ended Noga arm one but you have to remove any chuck/tools, put in R8 collet to set up. The idea of quickly clamping directly on the spindle is appealing. Actually I was thinking of making the clamp with a 8mm hole & slit/lock so I could use the arm as-is. But like we were discussing the end of the balls are already threaded.

Hmm.. maybe I just need to make an 8mm fitting for one of these & use my stub-ended Noga ... once I find the clone LOL

Attachments

• 2020-02-09_16-50-29.jpg
    2020-02-09_16-50-29.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5
Found the video. It's a 3 parter & I was wrong about the 3 magnets. Look like he just used one magnet but not on the periphery. Here's the 3rd part.

Screenshot_20200209-154732.jpg

Hmm.. maybe I just need to make an 8mm fitting for one of these & use my stub-ended Noga ... once I find the clone LOL

I got the idea from Tom Lipton too. I believe his video was called "An Indicol Marriage" or something like that. IIRC he just drilled & tapped a thread on the clamp & screwed that Noga arm directly to the clamp.

I made an adapter for the Noga arm thinking it might be useful to swivel the arm out for more clearance depending on the tool mounted in the spindle but I've never needed to yet. But the adapter looks cleaner IMO.

Back