Magazine tubes

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Been quite awhile since i last searched for a winchester 1886 magazine tube....wow have they went up.

Question: where is the most reasonable one sold....browning, winchester or any other maker.

You'd also think you could find some steel pipe/tubing those diameters

Ok folks looking for some help here that won't break my bank.

Numrich, Natchez, or Midaway are all supply houses to check for parts.

If you can spec the raw material, it would be easy to make one. But getting the right tubular stock ID/OD/thickness while trying to say with the right alloy might be hard, because Winchester didn't use hardware store gas pipe. They literally rolled their own.

Yah, I've checked all the usuals, I just can't believe the prices although its been a whole lot of years and i think that was when you could buy from Redmans.

I guess my problem is I can remember when they were 19-25 dollars depending where you bought them. I'm just having a hard time paying the higher prices. I've thought of buying some dom steel tubing 3/4 od .620 id and turning it down a tad on my lathe.

I suppose you could. The original lever action mag tubes were pretty slender. It would be tough to turn a long thin shell like that, even with a travel rest and sharp tools. Tubing isn't turned, it's formed- the dimensional consistency is very high, and the finish is smooth.

I think I'm going to give it a try. I've got 3 1886 receivers been sitting around for years....bout time i got to them

My lathe has a adjustable post directly across from the tool bit that keeps the work from buckling/moving while cutting

Back