Magazines

Anyone know which or if any of these publications are available in an electronic format yet ???
I contacted Village Press a couple years ago and they said that Digital Machinist was the only one currently available in an electronic copy.
While I prefer the hard copy for reading, an electronic copy is way easier to store and word search.

Home Shop Machinist from Village Press as mentioned above. The magazine has evolved over the years. Early issues had many hit/miss engines, shop jigs, etc. Typical lathe/mills used were probably around 12" lathe and a mill/drill. Currently they feature more of the mini-lathe stuff. Naturally the content changes with the interest and expertise of the writers of the articles. Lots of articles on how to improve mini-lathes; author has one and writes articles documenting his improvements. There are still hit/miss engine articles and basic technique articles.

Bruce

There are none, there is a limited market for such a publication and hobbyists would not pay for it if it did exist, very low cost or free is best.

I let my Home Shop Machinist subscription lapse as most of the articles were of little/no interest to me.
However, some I did find helpful or possible projects for the future, but found keeping the magazines difficult.
I did scan some, but was difficult and time consuming.
Personally, I'd pay for a digital subscription as it would allow me to take them with me anywhere on my phone and/or tablet for perusing.
Memory is cheap and compact for storage and I could just print any article/plans for the shop.
I find it curious most magazines refuse to publish a digital product in the digital age, it's cheaper to make and free to send. JMHO

Hahaha f*** that, she already has a $4000 set of rings on her finger.

Ya, paid by you but not made by you. Besides she'll look more like one of us with a stainless ring. :)
You might even get to use her old ring to dress your grind wheels. LOL

I have been looking into a collet fiasco and an angle plate and mini vise to do some light milling on here...
Lead the way sir. I'll have to figure our what an ER collet is. lol

Making an ER collet is like a graduation present, means you are a major force to be reckoned with. Seriously, they are much better at holding small stuff than typical 3 or 4 jaw chucks. Not that you need one any more than you need the lathe itself but they are fun to make. I got carried away and made three of them.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php

Good idea about the milling attachment for a lathe, I use mine much more than the collet chuck.

I just reviewed a sample copy of HSM. It is very nicely produced with high quality paper and images. There were a few very good articles and some that seemed like the editor was struggling to fill his page count. It is definitely interesting and worth subscribing to if you have the spare $$. I decided not to subscribe for now. If they would provide an on-line archive of past issues with my subscription (like some other magazines) then I would definitely subscribe, but AFAIK, they don't.

To be honest, I'd just connect up with Mr. Harold Hall's website. He was heavily involved with writing for the hobby machinists market, and has published on his website more projects and how to's than you will likely get done. He was the editor of one of those magazines for w while, but has retired from that.

http://www.homews.co.uk/

Besides, he's a member here and a genuinely nice bloke.

the pros here, or anyone for that matter, recommend some good hobby lathe/machining magazines?
You can get Modern Machine Shop magazine for free. You can go to mmsonline.com and fill out a subscription request. It is a trade magazine, so may not be what you are looking for, but anyone serious about machining can find something of value from there. Also, they have a forum as well.

I let my Home Shop Machinist subscription lapse as most of the articles were of little/no interest to me.
However, some I did find helpful or possible projects for the future, but found keeping the magazines difficult.
I did scan some, but was difficult and time consuming.
Personally, I'd pay for a digital subscription as it would allow me to take them with me anywhere on my phone and/or tablet for perusing.
Memory is cheap and compact for storage and I could just print any article/plans for the shop.
I find it curious most magazines refuse to publish a digital product in the digital age, it's cheaper to make and free to send. JMHO
Many many many times the publishers of HSM have addressed this. I too used to have a subscription to it but over time it became too expensive for the information it contained. Anything contained within and much more can be had for free over the internet. HOWEVER, the publishers are in the business of PUBLISHING, not machining. They do not offer digital content because it goes against their business model. Not saying this to besmirch them, just stating what they have published in their "ask the editor" column. Essentially they sell ink and glossy paper, not online subscriptions. It's a decent magazine, just outgrew them several years back.

Back