Magazines

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
the pros here, or anyone for that matter, recommend some good hobby lathe/machining magazines?

I like "Model Engineers Workshop" but I am in no way a pro or play one on TV

Village Press offers three or four different magazines related to hobby machining. The only one that I am familiar with is "Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading". It is $40 per year for 6 issues and is related more to the live steam railroading hobby but they do have some machining articles and tips from time to time. They also have "Home Shop Machinist", "Digital Machinist", and "Machinist's Workshop". The last one in the list is geared more towards beginning hobby machinists.

From the UK there is "Model Engineer" and "Model Engineer's Workshop", both from the same publisher over there.

Village Press publications. All of 'em! HSM, DM, MW. Even Live Steam, though there's sometimes overlap. VP pubs are archival- you will keep them forever.

One can, occasionally, find a collection of back issues for sale- usually for the price of a decent indicator or two. Worth it, if you want an instant library.

Last edited:
I'm not into model making at all. I love to lathe things. I don't have a mill... yet... but I'm dumb when it comes to creativity. I'll stand in front of the machine trying to think of something to make just to give up and go in the house. sometimes rather deflating. or I'll shave a few thou off whatever happens to be in the Chuck just to say I ran it today. all in all, just wasting material.

I like to make useful things. learn new techniques. I'll look into the machinists workshop one, geared towards beginners.
I subscribe to Woodsmith for woodworking. their magazines are chocked full of project ideas and full walk throughs on builds. really, something like that would be awesome.

I am in no way a pro or play one on TV

Funny. I like that

You just need a few more hobby's, i.e., automotive, old tractors & trucks, machine restoration, etc.. Then you will have plenty of things to make, but time may the new ingredient in short supply. :) Mike

Ya let's be honest, if I wished for more hours in a day or days in a week, I'd just work more.

Take a look through the members project here, I find many interesting projects. I find myself making tools for setup and whatnot. Seems I spend most of my shop time making that stuff instead of projects but it has inspired projects as well.

From the barrel nuts you have made it looks to me like you are ready to make an ER collet chuck. You might need to buy the nut and collets to complete the set but making the body would involve some threading fun and cutting a taper.

What about turning a stainless ring for your sweetheart?

What about turning a stainless ring for your sweetheart?

Hahaha f*** that, she already has a $4000 set of rings on her finger.

looks to me like you are ready to make an ER collet chuck.

I have been looking into a collet fiasco and an angle plate and mini vise to do some light milling on here...
Lead the way sir. I'll have to figure our what an ER collet is. lol

Reactions: rwm
Back