Magna Shopsmith Bandsaw for Metal?

Saguaro Slim

Registered
Registered
There's a CL post for a Magna Shopsmith bandsaw locally $75. The current owner is powering it off his joiner motor somehow.
I really don't need another project tool, but I occasionally find myself wishing I had a bandsaw.
I have a 14" abrasive chop saw, a plasma torch and 4.5" grinder for cutting metal as required.
Is this worth a look?

It will probably be quite a project to make into a good metal cutting saw. I have my dad's old Craftsman that he converted with a slow speed system but he was building an airplane so needed to cut a lot of aluminum sheet to pretty precise forms.

One of the best things about a horizontal metal cutting bandsaw is being able to let it cut stock to length while you do something else. I don't have one of those but it seems a totally different tool than a vertical saw regardless. I would probably hold out for a horizontal model unless you just want something else to tinker with but I don't think I'd pay more than $25 for a Shopsmith anything.

John

I agree with John. The shop Smith is just to small. You could figure out a mount and speed reduction but you’d be much better off with a 4x6 horizontal or a 14” vertical. I have both along with handheld bandsaw, plasma, and angle grinder. By far the most used has turned out to be the 14” vertical. I made a speed reduction and added an air powered auto feed sled so I don’t have to stand there and push it. Its wonderful for small and odd stuff that none of the other cutters can handle so safely.

I only have a 5X6 Jet horizontal/vertical band saw and a hand held hacksaw and there is no contest that the band saw wins. I would pass on the Shopsmith, too.

If you just need to cut stock, riding out to Harbor Freight with a coupon and coming home with a 4x6 horizontal band saw is a good way to go. The saw cuts very close to final dimension and is a solid deal. I also have an Enco 14" vertical wood saw. I reconfigured the pulleys for reduction. It's good to have, but doesn't see nearly the hours that the 4x6 does.

I've been desperately trying to replace my rather large collection of Harbor Freight tools for years. I'm tired of that junk. The 4x6 band saw is a huge exception, worthy of consideration.

My 14” vertical bandsaw is an old HF that had been hardly been used because they couldn’t track the blade. I think it was their fault, not the bandsaw. It’s a direct knock off of all the other 14” and is probably the most common vertical saw around. So parts are common and cheap. They had broken the tensioner/tracking block. Bought a new one for like $12. Bought the saw for $50 and with all the parts including ball bearing upper and lower guides I have $350 in it. For whatever reason the same saw if it’s a metal cutting saw is usually in the $1500+ range.

Similar to you, I had a 14" chop saw, a plasma cutter, a 4-1/2" grinder and a 7" grinder. A friend for whom I had done a few favors gave me a horizontal band saw that he hadn't used in several years - nothing wrong with it; he upgraded to a much larger machine. After using it awhile, I got rid of the chop saw and found a nice used 14" vertical band saw. I use both band saws more than I ever would have imagined before owning one. The only times I break out the grinders is if I need to cut a piece that just won't fit with either band saw or has an abnormal shape - mostly over sized sheet metal. They have become two of the most used tools in my shop. I agree with C-Bag: By far the most used has turned out to be the 14" vertical. If you find a nice one at a reasonable price, I doubt that you'd be disappointed.

Regards,
Terry

Btw, I converted a BIG Jet to metal using a 10:1 worm gear box and the stock pulley; works great! If you are pressed for space a small saw isnt that bad... but, remember that converting is a bunch of work.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

many apologies to those who’ve hear this before.

This always boils down to the kind of work you do. For some a horizontal is all they need and all I thought I’d need for 40yrs. But I kept having to do small stuff the 4x6 was just not made to do. The 4x6 is a good horizontal but for me it was barely functional vertical. Mikey came up with a good table mod for 4x6 in vertical and it sounds like it does what he needs.

But I found myself needing a vertical for small stuff, odd to hold stuff and cutting small screws to size. Then I saw a post by a member here Frank Ford which I’d long known his name in the musical instrument resto and repair world. I looked through his site and one that made the decision for me was his powered sled for 14” vertical. I think his was a factory 14 that would do metal and wood. So being cheap I figured out how to do a double belt reduction with the junk I had. I had to buy special keystock to mount my sled to, and a 3/4” long throw air cylinder off eBay, but everything else was out of the scrap bin. I made a backstop for the sled and clamps off the mill to hold stuff. I can set the feed by air pressure and just let ‘er go.

Attachments

• 50B6E5FF-10BC-4C59-97B2-7168372D7598.jpeg
    50B6E5FF-10BC-4C59-97B2-7168372D7598.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 233
  • FBDC5128-37DC-4441-964D-F22E7FAE3A40.jpeg
    FBDC5128-37DC-4441-964D-F22E7FAE3A40.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 225
  • 274C877F-3A60-4E8B-93EB-5DED41C24635.jpeg
    274C877F-3A60-4E8B-93EB-5DED41C24635.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • 8D813432-3FF0-4576-B64E-87D451907838.jpeg
    8D813432-3FF0-4576-B64E-87D451907838.jpeg