Magnetic Base Work Lights, Suggestions to What Works Best?

I did have 3 of the "sewing machine" type lights, the wife "borrowed" one for her sewing machine but had a hard time finding something metal for it to grab onto.
That's one of the problems with the newer sewing machines, they are made of mostly plastic or pot metal.
Might want to make sure there is some actual metal for it to stick to.
If the surface is all plastic, maybe it is possible to glue a steel washer of the same diameter to that surface first ,then attach the magnetic base to it. just thinking outloud.

I realize that what works for Person A may or may not work for Person B or C, that said, I've never had a magnetic light that worked with a crap. Constantly moving from vibrations or the slightest bump.

The other thing I hate about magnets on the machine tools is the swarf, attracted to the base and surrounded area. I do use dial indicators with magnetic bases, but they don't remain on the machine during use.

One of the guys I work with, has magnetic strips on the lathe back splash, that holds all of his AXA block, over time all of them have become magnetized, you are constantly wiping swarf and fine dust off the blocks before you can use them. To me the only time I want to use anything magnetic, around any of my tools, is the magnetic vise on the surface grinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to tell a miner that he is a moron for using a headlamp.

Hey, those headlamps are pretty handy. Mine is right here next to me getting the batteries charged up so it can go back to work in the shop!

I think one of the best lights for the money is this LED worklight from SnapOn. If I look into it I'm blinded for a minute. It's like an airplane headlight. ha! A freind picked this Sunlite one from Amazon. Basically the same as the SnapOn but a little cheaper. Don't know how the build quality is but the SnapOn is solid. I used some old piping to get the SnapOn up and over the lathe.

Back