[Newbie] Magnetic DRO Problems

I have the EL400 on my lathe. My money is on a bad cable, the one component that flexes back and forth. The scale is pretty much bullet proof, its just a piece of extruded aluminum with a self adhesive magnetic strip down the center, it looks like your average fridge magnet material. There is a thin stainless steel cover that slides into the extruded aluminum from the end to seal out chips, its a tight fit I don't see a chip getting in there even with help from an air hose. A chip between the head and scale, its possible you could blast a chip in there with an air hose but he said he cleaned both and re-aligned to specs. A few pics of the install would be helpful.

To all,
I called the vendor, they were very helpful. They advised me to switch the two cable terminals (X and Y) behind the unit to start the troubleshooting process. Then if it is an issue, reset the unit to factory default.
I still had the same problems after switching the terminals, so today I will reset to the factory default and set my parameters for the 1um reader.
:talktogod:

Hmmm. I was wondering if switching the X and Z cables would matter. I started thinking about it while doing the install. So are the scales and read heads actually different other than length??

Hmmm. I was wondering if switching the X and Z cables would matter. I started thinking about it while doing the install. So are the scales and read heads actually different other than length??

No the reader heads are interchangeable, just the lengths of the scales determine where they go. I am surprised the vendor didn't suggest swapping the heads also as right now only the cables have been verified but they have a lot of experience with there product and I am sure they will help get it sorted out.. The op said he has been using his dro for a year so that eliminates the orientation of the marks on the scale and the head as that would have given a erroneous reading from the start. Hopefully resetting his defaults will cure the problem.

Hmmm. I was wondering if switching the X and Z cables would matter.

I think they are just trying to rule out the display. Consumer electronics are made with lead free solder these days. I saw a lot of PCB failures at my old work due to the swap over to lead free solder. Joints aren't as strong as it's easier to cold solder with it. My lathe DRO display started acting up one day. Found one of the terminals on one of the scale connectors had a cold solder joint. I touched up all the connections & never had a problem since. Not saying that's the case here though, I'm using glass scales.

I did the below troubleshooting per vendor's request.
1. Checked the reader head clearances on both carriage and cross side .
2. Re-set the display to factory default.
3. Switched the cable terminals behind the unit.
What I discovered, no matter what I do, is the X display on the unit jumps between .001 to 3.00+ inches and the Y seems Okay.
I believe the display unit is defective. I will call the vendor tomorrow.
Thanks all for your support.
:whiteflag:

I believe that the DroPros Lathe kits currently includes a 1 micron resolution scale for the cross slide and a 5 micron resolution for the carriage. I don't know if the difference is in the read head or the scale or both. I believe I read somewhere that the reason for the higher resolution on the cross slide is that we often work in Diameter mode instead of Radius and this effectively requires double the resolution for the scale to get the same level of resolution in the readout.

I believe that the DroPros Lathe kits currently includes a 1 micron resolution scale for the cross slide and a 5 micron resolution for the carriage. I don't know if the difference is in the read head or the scale or both. I believe I read somewhere that the reason for the higher resolution on the cross slide is that we often work in Diameter mode instead of Radius and this effectively requires double the resolution for the scale to get the same level of resolution in the readout.

I recall seeing that also. May need to go back and re-check my install to see which head is on which scale. Seems simple except for the fact I zip tied the cables together then encased in flexible cable tubing to keep things neat. Obviously I was a bit hasty doing that prior to fully testing. Physically they are identical other than cable length but there is a s/n sticker. Also each one came with a corresponding "data sheet" with the s/n on it so that should be an easy way to check. Everything works except that I cannot get the x to read in .001" increments in dia mode UNLESS the readout is set to display out to 4 places .0000. To me 4 places displayed flickers too much while moving and is distracting. With the display set to 3 places, it changes in .002" increments. Went thru the set up menus 20 times changing the various values - primarily scale res and display res but no love.

I went through the same experience with the display out to 4 places .0000. I ended up with putting a piece of masking tape over the 4th number. I like it better this way because it is easier on my old eyes, plus if needed, I can see the 4th number through the tape.

To all:
I had a great experience with the vendor, DROPro. First with the troubleshooting process and then with the warranty exchange.
They sent me a replacement display unit the next day along with a prepaid return shipping label. I can't ask for any better service than that.

:thumbsup2:

Back