[4]

[Metrology] Magnetic Indicator Back with 2" Travel Dial Indicator

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

HolyHarp

Registered
I have a magnetic back for my 2" travel dial indicator that I'd like to use to measure longitudinal travel. This image shows it with a 1" travel indicator . 202-6056b.jpg
My first idea is to mount it on the lathe ways and indicate on the saddle. I have a few difficulties:
When I remove the indicator/base from the ways (or anything), the brass female threaded fitting comes out of the plastic indicator back.
  • Does anyone have plans or ideas for a quick-release for the magnet to easily remove it? Here's one for a Mighty Mag: 41LvB42PvJL._SX342_.jpg and for an Erick Magna Holder: 350-a.gif
  • and for a Lufkin Miti-Mite: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDbBMn6Vy2K6PaCndhvtW3bSyAndp7pxSX0lCJtv92nJd5hBivKA.jpg
  • Is there a way to easily slide it along the ways to get it in position?
Mounting it on the ways is really only good when using the auto-feed or hand wheel to move the saddle. What can I indicate on when I have my saddle locked and am using my compound rest at 30° to advance my cutting tool (turning or boring)?
  • Mount it on the T/S ram and indicate on the tool post? This would require the tool post side to be flat. How could I easily make sure it was square to the lathe axis? Here is a similar setup:
  • Putting a Mighty Mag on the face of the T/S ram might work. hqdefault.jpg
What ways are there to use it to measure depth of drilled holes? Would a different magnetic base be better? I have several magnetic bases and a lugged indicator back I can change out to. I have an indicator stem holder as well.
  • Find a way to mount it on the tail stock and indicate on a Neodymium magnet back (from a PC hard drive) on the T/S ram?

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Read the link more carefully, Daryl. Parts only...

HolyHarp

Registered
To square the side of the tool post to the lathe axis requires turning the cross-slide back and forth 2 or 3 times. Can anyone think of a quicker way?

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
I have the same magnetic back in your picture. Had the same problem you did. Made the part out of aluminum and it works great now.

HolyHarp

Registered
@kd4gij, it would be great if you could share a dimensioned sketch or drawing of what you made and any tips or techniques to make it.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
I took the stock back plate from the indicator cut the lug off. Clamped it to a piece of square aluminum milled the lug flush. drilled and reamed for a press fit for the brass stud that pulled out of the plastic back and used red loc-tite to hold it.

[6]
[5] [7]