Maho "Universal Tool Milling, Drilling and Boring Machine" - MH600

Maho MH 600 - getting the DRO set up.

Took a little time to get the DRO set up. I ended up whittling my own mounts (still need to "Cold Blue" the Y-axis). :))

DSCF4474.JPGDSCF4475.JPGDSCF4476.JPGDSCF4477.JPG

Regards, David

DSCF4474.JPG DSCF4475.JPG DSCF4476.JPG DSCF4477.JPG

I thought I’d share my latest efforts with the small Maho unit.

I am making up additional change gears for the spiral milling unit I picked up. The unit came to me with only 6 of the 32 change gears that make up the complete set (still attached from the last job). Fortunately three of the change gear mounting pegs remained with the attachment (the peg is made up of about 6 small pieces that would be a chore to re-create without a sample). Hopefully 3 pegs is sufficient, or even as originally supplied.

Anyway, I have a small task which requires the spiral unit – needless to say, I’ve never used this attachment (it may not have been used for several years). Most of my projects seem to involve much more setting up for the task, than actually performing the task.

So, back to making change gears. Since this is my first go at ever making gears, my initial undertaking was for all gear wheels up to 4” diameter. This will cover the requirements of the task (and aligns with the bar stock I had on hand). That represents 17 gear wheels. My though is that I’ll stand a better chance of at least getting this batch done, instead of trying to make all of them and “running out of gas” -- & not have much of anything actually finished (I’m pretty good at starting things, not so good at finishing them). The remaining 9 wheels? Well, I hope to get to them later. Certainly I considered purchasing gear blanks, the cost adds up, and that only addresses the tooth form – there is still the bore and width details. Figured I’d just “belly up” and get to it. Really, it has not been very difficult, just a lot of details (shafts, sleeves, washers, adapters, ...) to address before ever getting to the point of generating any teeth.

If any of the other Maho users have, or know of anyone with a spiral unit, please let me know. I’d very much like to correspond with them.

Regards, David

DSCF4565.JPG DSCF4560.JPG DSCF4564.JPG DSCF4573.JPG DSCF4559.JPG DSCF4561.JPG

I’ve been pretty quite on what I’m up to with the spiral milling unit. Making up the change gears took a bit of time, but so did installing and setting up the actual unit. Simply slapping the unit onto the mounting face, resulted in the driving shaft not lining up. I ended up making stepped keys, and shimming the table out (so then needed to make up longer bolts). It sort of went on, and on – one more thing (since this is my only working mill, the tables were probably swapped on/off ~6 times). Anyway, it all seems to travel smoothly, both ratios on the head click right in. Very cool. Whether it will ever get used is another story (which I’ll post if it ever happens). Anyway, now it is not just another “boat anchor”.
DSCF5112.JPG DSCF5115.JPG DSCF5117.JPG DSCF5122.JPG DSCF5125.JPG

Hi!
I am very happy to find this thread.
You had a very good luck with those two machines and with the accessories!
I also have a Maho MH 600 but older version from the 50's
I had to take it apart and clean it, paint it.
I am still in the process of getting it running.
I have basically no accesories. Only vertical head.
IMAG3190.jpgIMAG3194.jpg
I still need to paint the under side of the table. Make up whipers and bellows, reproduce the missing Z axis power feed lever, make new X axis gib adjuster screws, mount the DRO scales to X and Z and some odds and ends.

That looks very nice. How have you made out over the last few months? Is that an MH600, or the earlier version SK250 (I think)? Were you able to download the documents that I put in the "Downloads" section? Perhaps start a new thread and tell us how the machine came to you and what you have/are doing to it and with it.
Take care, David

Hi! thank you!
Its pretty much the same machne as the very late SK250A the last ones were marked MH600,
I have found a machine No:1617 marked as SK250A mine is No:1661 marked MH600, basically the same machine apart the back cover that in my case covers the motor too. (I havent seen another machine with that cover) This machine has the oldschool brass spindle bearins.
The machine got to me from a guy that imports stuff rom Switzerland to Slovakia, it cost me 1400euros includin shipping.
It was all dirty full of chips everywhere /compressed air cleaned machine/ and someone just lately filled all the oil fittins with grease..
So I had to take the whole thing apart and clean it, while I was at it I gave it a new paintjob as the original paint has rotten away from the entire table mechanism and the lower parts of the machine probably because of usin a lot of coolant.
The machine is in a fairly good shape, the Z ways had rust damage to them because of the water based coolant getting down into the table thru some added holes to the cover to make the coolant drain from the table faster. The coolant got into the lubrication cavities of the table and water lubricated the ways.... That was the most difficult thing to sort out, lots of tedious work. The X asis does have a 0,04mm (0,0015inch) sag/dip to it in the middle compared to all the way left or right. Y is however perfectly paralell to the table I was surprised to see that like 0,005mm (two tents) over width of the table, so all in all it very much fits my needs good enogh for a home hobby shop.
I have seen the documentation to your machine but your is an all new machine. I have the original manual for my machine in german. If someone is interested feel free to contact me i have it scanned.

You can also check out my galery here: https://fichtljenco.rajce.idnes.cz/Maho_MH_600_1661/

Back