Maintanence

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
Not a classic truck by any means but a truck question regardless. my 2014 Chevy Silverado has 156000 kilometers (97,000 mi) on it. I've done all the regular oil changes, tire rotation (new tires actually), air filters, etc etc. But I know that the 150 mark is usually when you start looking into bigger maintenance. I think I need to do my spark plugs soon? What should I be doing around this point?

The manual they provided with the vehicle should give you the service schedule.

That's true.... Maybe I should have thought about that first instead of jumping to the forum... But that's what I do. I bother people with questions and have conversation instead of looking for myself. Lol

Plugs at 100K miles. Make sure you pull them with a cold engine (aluminum heads) and use a dab of anti-seize on the new plugs. Use the same plugs that came with your Silverado if you want another 100K miles out of them. Differential fluid service (both if 4x4 and transfer/ tranny filter oil service. You could also flush/replace the brake fluid and coolant if not done in recent years.
I have a Silverado 2000 1500 4x4 with 220,xxx plus miles and runs like new, I do all the maintenance myself. Make sure you use the correct fluids when servicing the diff,tansfer case.
Like GinStC stated, your manual is a decent guide but sometimes recommend longer intervals on some items. A good example would be the coolant flush, They recommend 150,000 miles or five years. Well in Arizona's summer temps, I don't follow the recommended intervals, same thing with trannys when I'm towing etc.
I'm a freak about preventative maintenance (PM) and can drive cross county with confidance in anything I own with the exception of my 1982 fj40 and thats only because of no A/C hahah. Same attitude with the machines. I can thank the military/fire department for that mindset.:p

2005 GMC Sierra 4x4 with 150,000 miles. Always maintained via the owners manual time frame, using quality parts, recommended fluids and common sense as a minimum guide. She's still chugging along very reliably. And I do not drive it easy.

Have you guys tried doing an oil analysis when you change oil? I've been using Blackstone labs for years and it has been very useful. They can tell you how healthy your engine is and if you need to attend to something before it craps out. Very useful service. Ever since I switched to Amsoil synthetic oil, they've been telling me my next oil change can be every 7500 miles.

I do a trans flush/filter/fluid change every 25K and have a trans oil cooler and magnetic filter in line. A new trans cost over 4K for my Tundra so it gets looked after.

I also do a brake fluid flush and replacement every 5 years. Brake fluid absorbs water over time and even 5 years is pushing it way beyond what I should be doing. I also do a fluid replacement whenever I change brake pads.

My wife's Honda has 246 thou' on it and still runs well, but I do a lot of oil changes and change all the fluids on a regular basis. I prefer to change brake fluid every two years at the outside and trans/diff fluids every 25-30 thou'. Stuff like plugs and filters I do by the book. Most cars
will go a long time if you maintain 'em.

In addition to the above, the belts, hoses and other rubber bits will start needing some attention soon.

Does you vehicle have a timing belt? If so, pay close attention to the change interval for that. Many engines are "interference," meaning that the pistons will hit the valves if the camshaft gets out of time with the crank.

Back