[How do I?] Make a mag drill variable speed

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
I have a Milwaukee mag drill that I would like to slow down the rpms on. With a mag drill there is no trigger just three push buttons on/off/rev. The speed if I had to guess is between 700 and 1000. I'd like to get that down below 500 and I'd really like to have it variable. Question is can I take the speed dial off another tool and just splice it to the output of mag to input power on drill assy? Their is space on the panel of the mag drill if the unit is compact but I'm okay with a splice on the cord to drill. Any insight would be appreciated thanks.

What amperage is your drill rated for? If it’s less than 20a which I’ll bet it is you can just use a router speed control. I used it on my 2hp hand held pipe threader and it worked like a champ.

there are cheaper ones, but this one looks like mine

Are you suggesting gutting that unit and wiring in? I cannot plug the mag drill into the box because I would be afraid of it messing with the power to the magnet. Which I don't want. I'll check on the amperage though kind of important.

Can you isolate the magnet power from the drill power?

Second thought, isn’t the mag already separate from the drill power?

If the drill motor is a brush type you can vary the speed.
You will have some loss of torque when you lower the motor speed however
-Mark

If the drill motor is a brush type you can vary the speed.
You will have a loss of torque when you lower the motor speed however
-Mark
I believe it is a brush type motor. It’s a drill Assy. Bolted on a mag plate minus a handle and trigger on drill. Not a exact model but for reference. 18E886E8-83CB-4A69-BA55-583EC2896E93.png

Back