[4]

Make small things --with big lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

smallfly

Active User
Registered
we have a le-blond lathe 19 x 54 inch and want to work on small objects. My ''one and only'' live center for the tailstock is from ''phase 2 and has always worked ok. but it is too large . soooo i disassembled the live center and made a new arbor which has a 5/8 inch i.d. and locking set screw and will accept and interchange any centers which i choose to make. this is a real ez thing to make and i thought others mite like to see pics of project

LC 1.JPG LC  2.JPG LC 3.JPG LC 4.JPG LC 5.JPG LC 6.JPG LC7.JPG LC 8.JPG LC9.JPG LC 10.JPG

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Wow. that's cool.

"Billy G"

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Very cool, thanks for sharing. I have always suspected that something like this could be done but never knew how or seen it before. Thanks for sharing, gives me some great ideas that I would like to try.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Smallfly,

Actually, those are commercially available, but uncommon. I have a set for my Atlas 12x36 (on 2MT of course) with the smallest center adapter about 3/8" diameter. About what you would want if you had a 2x10 lathe. But I never thought about the possibility of making one myself. Neat job.

Robert D.

smallfly

Active User
Registered
if u look at the pic's i posted u will see the original arbor --plan ''A'' was to drill a hole in center of this orig. arbor. wow that steel is more than just hardened on the surface it cannot be drilled. soooo i made a new arbor from 1215 steel . had never used 1215 before---machines real well . i would say almost as well as 12L14 --and was a freebeee from prior steel order i received from ''OAKLAND STEEL'' --good people to deal with and they want to work with hobbyists.they did not have the round bar i wanted in the larger diameters of 12L14 soooo they sent some 1215 to try for free. they will use those usps mailers instead of ups and will save u $$$. i recd. 33 lbs. steel for $$11.00. shipping costs wow. can't beat that. hope this helps. re steve in mt.

[6]
[5] [7]