Make smaller diameter bolt from bigger bolt?

bpctcb

Registered
Registered
Has anyone tried to make a smaller diameter bolt from a larger size bolt?
I need a couple of M12-1.0 bolts that I cannot find locally. I thought about trying to make some by turning down & threading larger diameter bolts (M14 or M16).
Is this doable?

Thanks,
BP

Shouldn’t be a problem. Higher grade bolts will put up a fight but doable.

These are for the D1-5 back plate on my PM1440GT. I'm trying to attach a spider to 2 of the threaded stud holes.

BP

If the thread pitch is the same, no problem, if it is different, there may still be original threads showing after the shank is turned down, unless you start with bolts with a longer (bare) shank.

yep, easy. Done it many times, often just threading the bare section or extending the threaded section, many times also reducing the diameter and re-threading.
My latest was doing the same to a couple of nuts, drilling out and tapping a fine but larger dia thread.
So go for it.

Sometimes I find it just as easy to make a new bolt from scratch; it can be difficult to line up a common bolt well enough centered to make a decent job of it. For machine us, I like to make bolts with taller heads, especially if they are to be used for frequent adjustments, so they don't tend to round over the heads. For the same reason, I use heavy hex nuts in similar situations.

I cut down half of a 3/8 NC bolt and threaded it 1/4-20. The 3/8NC threads into an angle bracket, the 1/4-20 has poles attached and is secured by a thumbnut.

I have a few 12x1.0 bolts I don't need. Toyota ring gear bolts. They are only 19mm long so not sure if that's any help. About 12.5mm worth of thread.
24mm dia integral washer type head with 17mm external hex size(for wrench/socket).
Finding 12x1.0 is difficult.
If they will work go to your toyota dealer and see if they have some laying around. Or I could send you some if you need them.

Back