Make Your Own Air Compressor Reed Valve

petcnc

Active User
Registered
In many occasions I have realized that modern tools have a life span as long as their warrantee lasts. This was also the case in my new 25 liters air compressor.

270A5.jpg

The compressor had a 3 year warrantee! And it worked flawlessly for exactly 3 years and an extra month.
Last month, when I tried to add air to a bicycle tube it started working continuously without raising enough pressure to do the job.

There the fun begins!

I opened the compressor head to discover that a horseshoe shape reed valve was broken in 3 pieces. I put some masking tape on it to establish its shape and work out a solution.

IMG_20210704_154324620.jpg

I started looking for a readymade one but nothing was available for the specific model.
I also looked for material to buy and make it but nothing was available locally.

I needed some raw material to fix it that has specific attributes:

A. It has to be a spring steel
B. It must be the same (or very similar) thickness
C. It must be available and cheap

After some head scratching and googling I found out that I had the material for years in my tool box!
Steel PAINT SCRAPPERS!

IMG_20210704.jpg

I sacrificed one of them scrapers...

IMG_20210704_19.jpg

...with a little help from my dremel and my Sheet Metal Cutting Shears I made two reed valves just to have an extra spare!

IMG_20210704_154354.jpg

I was happy and proud that I managed to fix the tool but…

I noticed that the broken reed valve had many stains on it… particularly at the area where it broke...

IMG_20210704_154247052.jpg

Playing it safe I thought “Why not make a stainless steel reed?”

It was just a matter of finding the right material.

Stainless steel scrapers are readily available for a few dollars. I bought a set!

IMG_20210704_194134820.jpg

Again I sacrificed one and made another reed valve.

IMG_20210704s.jpg

Here you can see from left to right the original, the stainless and the two steel ones I made.

IMG_20210704_154606350.jpg

I must admit the stainless material was by far harder and more difficult to cut and drill.

I had to use a modified concrete drill that I have sharpened as a regular HSS drill

Needless to say that the compressor works as new again!

Thanks for reading
Petros

Hi Petros,

Great fix!
Thanks for sharing.

The original almost looks like copper or brass in your photos.

With three spares you should be good for a decade now.......if you can find them when you need them..... ;)

-brino

Hi Petros,

Great fix!
Thanks for sharing.

The original almost looks like copper or brass in your photos.

With three spares you should be good for a decade now.......if you can find them when you need them..... ;)

-brino
Hi Brino!
The truth is that the original material was a funny metal that looked like brass but was prone to rust!
If I cannot find a spare whenever I need it I can always make a new one copying the one that failed! I have the know-how now he he he!
Petros

I'm the same way, if I can possibly fix it, I will. Just spent $100 for all the moving parts (including the motor) to rebuild a dryer I bought used 15 years ago.

I'm the same way, if I can possibly fix it, I will. Just spent $100 for all the moving parts (including the motor) to rebuild a dryer I bought used 15 years ago.
I know what you mean!
I enjoy the journey (of fixing) not the arrival!
The compressor costs around $130 but I feel that I commit a crime if I throw it away for a part that costs only $0.5.
Moreover It is more challenging to make the part than just buy it and fit it in.
Moral of the story:
We have spent some $1000s for machinery and $100s for raw material to be able to make a part that costs a dollar (in most cases) BUT WE ENJOY IT
Petros

Nice job Pitros. If my old washer and dryer ever stop, they will be repaired. The new stuff is junk, and way overpriced. Fortunately I don't require the latest greatest what ever, and prefer the pleasure of "making it work again". Mike

I must still strip my comp and do what you did. Thanks for posting and showing that it can be done.....three times :big grin:

How much should the head bolts be torqued. I have a 50L direct drive but no specs on the torque

How much should the head bolts be torqued. I have a 50L direct drive but no specs on the torque
I had no specs either! I just used common sense in torqueing. My practical approach to the matter: Whenever Iam in doubt I hold the spanner not from the end but close to the bolt and bolt it. I have never had a broken bolt this way!!!

As with all bolts, tighten till the threads strip or the bolt breaks and back off a quarter turn......... :laughing:

Find the size of the bolt and there are many torque charts online where you can get a good idea of the needed torque for that size bolt.

Back