Make your own sanding belts?

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have a 6' stroke sander I built myself years ago. It takes a 168" x 6" belt. I usually have to custom order from wherever in the states I can search for online. I have yet to find a local supplier that cuts custom belts.
They're expensive... Last time I ordered, I ordered 6 belts (the minimum they would allow me) and two drive belts for the drum sander and a shop roll. By the time it was at my door, it was nearly $600... The wife LOST her mind. Lol.
Has anyone made their own belts? I could probably find a roll of stock cloth paper and make my own for a fraction of the price as ordering from the states. I usually run out once every two years with my sporadic usage. However, right now, I have many belts left, but all at 220 grit, which I like for finish sanding. I can usually level and sand the work piece to a finished state right on the stroke sander.
I need to make some 120 grits for material removable... The coming project that warrants this need doesn't have enough in the budget for me to order belts.

I think it is doable, 6" rolls of abrasive material are readily available. I would make a jig to accurately make angled cuts on the ends and hold them in alignment, then make the splice on the back side by gluing piece of thin strong cloth over the joint. Or better yet, find out what the belt makers use, it appears to be some sort of thermo set plastic tape?

That's what I need to know. What the tape is on the back. I did some quick reading earlier about people skiving the ends and gluing them, and taping them, and lots of failures.
I've never had one of my manufactured belts fail on the joint

Filament tape, ied use 3m , that’s what my 6x48 belts are joined with and they last a long time.
Ied make sure the belt backing is clean before bonding

I'll see what I can get a hold of.
Thanks.

Back