Makin chips, sort of

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So, got the vise, (sort of, its the only one I have) indicated in. Decided that this scrap material was cheaper than steel to practice some basic operations on, and more forgiving of my amateurish skills. Do you think the setup is rigid enough for steel? And , question on the cutter, the tooth design on bottom says end mill, I didnt think to get a pic, but it looks more like a reamer, from rhe side. Anyway, would you use it or some other design(pictured is what I have) , for facing, sizing , on steel? Of course it worked fine on this material. Sooo many questions.

Attachments

• 20220108_150108.jpg
    20220108_150108.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220102_174820.jpg
    20220102_174820.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 81
Yes, it does look more like a reamer. I'd be looking for a better vise, that one looks more like a crappy chinese drill vise.

Yes, it does look more like a reamer. I'd be looking for a better vise, that one looks more like a crappy chinese drill vise.
I will be looking for a better one for sure. Do you think its inadequate for light cuts and work? I've seen worse.

Probably depends on your expectations as to the accuracy of what you are working on, one detraction is that the jaws do not extend downwards to the bed of the vise, makes some alignment of workpieces difficult.

Probably depends on your expectations as to the accuracy of what you are working on, one detraction is that the jaws do not extend downwards to the bed of the vise, makes some alignment of workpieces difficult.
What would be the application for a reamer of that style?

What would be the application for a reamer of that style?
It is hard to say without a close up picture of the business end of it; if it has a 45 degree bevel on the end, it is likely just an ordinary chucking reamer, used to accurately enlarge a drilled hole, if it has no bevel but instead has teeth on the end and a shallow hole at the center, it could be a jig bore reamer, used to enlarge and size drilled holes at an accurate location.

It is hard to say without a close up picture of the business end of it; if it has a 45 degree bevel on the end, it is likely just an ordinary chucking reamer, used to accurately enlarge a drilled hole, if it has no bevel but instead has teeth on the end and a shallow hole at the center, it could be a jig bore reamer, used to enlarge and size drilled holes at an accurate location.
I'll try to get a close up

Didn't get pics of the reamer. I got 2 sets of hold downs with rhe mill purchase, and the t slots on one wouldn't fit the table or the rotary table. Modified them, with the setup shown, using an actual end mill, they now fit the mill table, and I'll modify the others to fit the rotary. Wish I had some stock the right size, I would have made new ones, and get some drilling, tapping practice. Anyway, VERY happy with the accuracy, on the cat's hind end after taking up the slack, and a great day in the shop! Gotta welding trailer project I gotta get started on tomorrow after tending livestock, thanks all for the input.

Back