[How do I?] Making a bronze bushing

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I could use some advice on making this part. I'm restoring a Marvel #2 power hacksaw (restoration thread here if you're interested). I need to make a bronze bushing with a 1.125" OD, 1.000" ID, and 7.5" long. The length and wall thickness (1/16") have me worried. I don't know if I can bore that length accurately from one end. If I have to bore it from both ends, then I'll have to worry about crushing the thin walled part in the chuck when I swap ends. I also have a question about materials. McMaster-Carr has 932 bearing bronze and "easier to machine" 936 bearing bronze. Is the 936 enough better to justify the additional cost? Any pointers would be appreciated!

You might want to buy the bushing already made- check out Bunting bushings catalog- Zoro carries them
Does the bushing need to be one single piece or could it be two separate pieces? Might be cheaper if you can do the latter
Mark

Thanks Mark. I checked out Bunting's website. It doesn't look like they have one long enough. It does need to be a single piece.

I would seriously doubt that it needs to be full length in one piece, generally, things like that are not made like that, two bushings with a length of 2 or 2 1/2" long would likely be adequate for the job.

Last edited:
Also see what McMaster Carr has for bushings. They will also have the raw stock.

I would expect one bushing one inch long on each end would do the job, (not knowing what the job is).

If this is the location for the bushing, no reason you cannot do two 3.25", or even four 1.875" bushings.

11111111.jpeg

Well, its a bit more complicated than that. The shaft you see there runs inside the bushing in question. Since I have the machine totally disassembled, I can’t really take a photo to illustrate the situation, but here’s a diagram. The bushing has a shaft running on the inside and the saw frame assembly pivots on the OD. So yes, it does need to be one piece.

Attachments

• 8DC30AF9-CE63-4851-9772-C6E9C29B7BDE.jpeg
    8DC30AF9-CE63-4851-9772-C6E9C29B7BDE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Back