Making a decent vice better

petcnc

Active User
Registered
This is the fourth vice I have bought and I must say from the beginning that it was the best choice I made. The design was promising (Kurt style) the size was appropriate for my mini mill (80mm) and the price was right (52 GBP).

Arc4.jpg

It took a week to arrive from UK and as soon as I opened the box I tested it to see how it works.
It was hard to turn the handle and it was covered with a mixture of grease and oil. So I started taking it apart to check, clean and fine tune it.

First thing I checked was the parallelism of the body.

Body test.jpg

I was Happy to find out that sliding the DTI all around the body there was no movement of the needle.
I was impressed.
Since body was ok then fixing any problem to the rest of the parts is easy.
Testing the fixed jaw I found one side 0.05mm higher.
Using my dremel and a tiny sand paper tool I gently grinded the higher side.
Then I put sandpaper on the surface plate and with careful lapping I managed to make all sides parallel.

Lapping.jpg

Next I noticed the moving jaw nut had an uneven surface

Nut surface.jpg

and it was pressing the spherical segment sideways.

Segment off side.jpg

A few passes with the mill and the nut took its shape.

Nut ready.jpg

Next I cleaned the moving jaw and the spherical segment that was covered in rust.

Moving jaw.jpg

Spairical.jpg

I lubricated all parts adjusted the jaw plates and the vice works like a charm

On the mill.jpg

A nice vice at last!!
Thanks for reading

Petros

Last edited:

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Nice! When I was improving a Chinese Kurt clone, one of the things I found was that the socket the spherical segment sat in was also pretty rough. I used a Dremel cutoff disk (I think #420) and lightly ran across the surface from several directions. The diameter of the disk was a decent match to the diameter of the socket. It smoothed out a lot of the casting irregularities. I noticed that your segment was looking a bit scarred. So you might well have a rough socket also.

petcnc

Active User
Registered
Nice! When I was improving a Chinese Kurt clone, one of the things I found was that the socket the spherical segment sat in was also pretty rough. I used a Dremel cutoff disk (I think #420) and lightly ran across the surface from several directions. The diameter of the disk was a decent match to the diameter of the socket. It smoothed out a lot of the casting irregularities. I noticed that your segment was looking a bit scarred. So you might well have a rough socket also.
Hman I thought of that, but on test the sperical segment moved freely inside the socket so I let it be as it was. I might smooth it later and I plan to replace the primitive sperical segment with a ball from a bearing cut in half. Thanks for the dremel Idea!
Petros

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock