Making a hook(gaff)

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have never made a SS gaff before, so I'm testing the water. I wanted to use 304L, but it was not available, so I got reg 304 1/2 SS. The full size gaffs will be 22" total hook length, but there was a remnant piece of 11"s so that was my practice piece. I made a jig on the fab table, but no way, no how could I get the short piece to start curling. Plan A was ROTFL at me, so to kick plan A's butt, I went to plan B. It was a long day. To use the short piece, I went to the hyd press, but the beams are 4"s apart, that called for a 3" die cut from 5" diameter piece. I put some grooves for 1/2", and 3/8" SS, and a flat for the press if I use it again. I'll have to make a jig for the 5" diameter gaff since plan A is not working, this one is going to be used for delivery, and dragging fish out of the hold. I still need to TIG the .125 wall handle on the shaft. I still need to figure out the amperage for that to finish it, but I did get a good idea on what I'm doing for now.

Looks like a Captain Hook prop for Halloween Mike ! :encourage: Did you heat that thing up ? I bent 1" stainless round stock for tractor pins after heating them up with no problems .

No heat, just bend, so it stays strong, and won't open. The bigger throat gaffs do open with heavy fish BTDT

They must be some REAL fish ! :sharkattack:

I've had a 247 yf tuna, and a 735 marlin, and a few marlins between 400, and 650, so gaffs get worked. There have been quite a few tunas in the last 20+ years too, by myself.

It was a 30' with twin Cummins, and shafts. It was getting full at about 11-12 100 lb + tunas.

The gaff is now complete, and seeing as this was an experiment, I TIGed it too, my first try at it. The shaft is welded on both sides of the handle, so it's not pretty, but it wont come apart, and I wire wheeled the colors away.....

I have never made a SS gaff before, so I'm testing the water. I wanted to use 304L, but it was not available, so I got reg 304 1/2 SS. The full size gaffs will be 22" total hook length, but there was a remnant piece of 11"s so that was my practice piece. I made a jig on the fab table, but no way, no how could I get the short piece to start curling. Plan A was ROTFL at me, so to kick plan A's butt, I went to plan B. It was a long day. To use the short piece, I went to the hyd press, but the beams are 4"s apart, that called for a 3" die cut from 5" diameter piece. I put some grooves for 1/2", and 3/8" SS, and a flat for the press if I use it again. I'll have to make a jig for the 5" diameter gaff since plan A is not working, this one is going to be used for delivery, and dragging fish out of the hold. I still need to TIG the .125 wall handle on the shaft. I still need to figure out the amperage for that to finish it, but I did get a good idea on what I'm doing for now.

WoW! Nice gaff!

Back