Making a longer chuck key

Wobbly,

Everything Mike said is true. Trust me. Would I lie to you?

First, at a minimum, you need collet blocks. Note I said blocks, plural, because as sure as the sun rises in the… uh… East, yeah, the East... you will need to cut a hexagon shape next week and having only a square block when you need a hexagonal one can lead to severe mental anguish and heavy substance abuse. It’s science.

As for the actual productive part of your endeavor, you can do as already mentioned, put the round stock in the square collet block and put the collet block in the vise and file a significant portion of your life away. BUT, as all us veteran hobby machinists know from minutes of past experience, files are only for knocking burrs off the edge of milled chunks of metal. They aren’t for labor intensive tasks such as filing said pieces of metal down to size. For that, as Mike so subtly hinted, the vise holding the collet block should be firmly attached to a mill. Preferably a humongous mill that takes up at least half of your shop space, but at minimum, a bench mill that takes at least two people and/or an engine hoist to lift into place. You definitely have a project that requires you to purchase said mill. Trust me. More science. Note I didn’t say “justifies” a mill, I said “requires” a mill. Justification is for wimps. All us manly-men operate on the requirement principle, no justification needed. Sort of like the "because it's there" philosophy.

Now that that is settled, after you get your new mill (and you know you will) get back to us and we will gleefully help you spend more of your money on tooling than you ever imagined. No, no… no need to thank us. We’re here to help.

Has anybody mentioned a rotary table, yet?

Tom

These guys are just trying to be helpful. I, on the other hand, am going to tease you about being "mill-less". I am going to try to spend your money!

Ok, that's more like it :high 5:

Seriously, I'm going to have to wait a bit on a mill. The will is there... the cash is not. Been out of a job for a spell, so I've got to keep expenditures down for a while. Having a mill has been mentioned a few times to my wife. With me saying that I can't justify it right now.

As for the actual productive part of your endeavor, you can do as already mentioned, put the round stock in the square collet block and put the collet block in the vise and file a significant portion of your life away. BUT, as all us veteran hobby machinists know from minutes of past experience, files are only for knocking burrs off the edge of milled chunks of metal. They aren’t for labor intensive tasks such as filing said pieces of metal down to size.
Hogging out metal with files does test one's patience! Apparently patience is in short supply on this board. Not really sure how on earth one can file the flats flat (4 times). Collets or not. No doubt this would be easier on a mill.

I'm going to play around with the 4 Jaw to see if I can make a decent small key insert. It's not obvious to me how to guarantee the angles are 90 degrees with a small piece of stock that is smaller than the chuck spindle hole. Not sure what surface one could reference.

I'm going to play around with the 4 Jaw to see if I can make a decent small key insert. It's not obvious to me how to guarantee the angles are 90 degrees with a small piece of stock that is smaller than the chuck spindle hole. Not sure what surface one could reference.

Place a parallel behind your piece and square it up to the face. For the 0- degree angles, you should be able to index against your chuck jaws.

WobblyHand, I feel your pain regarding being mill-less. I went for years without a mill and so also had to make do as you are. I used my old Craftstman drill press as a poor man's mill. If you have a drill press, a cross slide vice and a square collet chuck, buy yourself your first mill and have at it. You probably won't get a nice finish but I think you will at least have the faces square and you can touch them up with a file if needed.

Once upon a time, filing rests for the lathe were popular. Search for "filing rest". Heminway kits makes one so you can get the idea.

You can also just find some keystock and epoxy it into the end of a rod, then stick a handle through the rod and you're done.

Someday, when things are better, buy a mill. There is no rush but know that we are going to rib you about it from time to time!

I don't mind the ribbing. Seems to be in good fun.

That filing rest looks interesting. Can't tell if it is an assemble it yourself, or a here's some raw stock, fabricate all the parts and put it together. At 31 pounds Sterling, ($42) it isn't that expensive. However, $42 is the price of a hex & square collet block with nuts and wrench.

So far @brino 's suggestion of holding the chuck in a vise is winning. I tried it. I cringed doing it, but it would work, as long as I was consistent. I'll try squaring off some stock as well. Since it's so small, there isn't much for the chuck to grip. A 1" piece would be no problem. A 0.25" piece doesn't have much to hold onto. I'll try a practice piece or two for the giggles. Probably learn something along the way!

Wobbly,

Everything Mike said is true. Trust me. Would I lie to you?

First, at a minimum, you need collet blocks. Note I said blocks, plural, because as sure as the sun rises in the… uh… East, yeah, the East... you will need to cut a hexagon shape next week and having only a square block when you need a hexagonal one can lead to severe mental anguish and heavy substance abuse. It’s science.

As for the actual productive part of your endeavor, you can do as already mentioned, put the round stock in the square collet block and put the collet block in the vise and file a significant portion of your life away. BUT, as all us veteran hobby machinists know from minutes of past experience, files are only for knocking burrs off the edge of milled chunks of metal. They aren’t for labor intensive tasks such as filing said pieces of metal down to size. For that, as Mike so subtly hinted, the vise holding the collet block should be firmly attached to a mill. Preferably a humongous mill that takes up at least half of your shop space, but at minimum, a bench mill that takes at least two people and/or an engine hoist to lift into place. You definitely have a project that requires you to purchase said mill. Trust me. More science. Note I didn’t say “justifies” a mill, I said “requires” a mill. Justification is for wimps. All us manly-men operate on the requirement principle, no justification needed. Sort of like the "because it's there" philosophy.

Now that that is settled, after you get your new mill (and you know you will) get back to us and we will gleefully help you spend more of your money on tooling than you ever imagined. No, no… no need to thank us. We’re here to help.

Has anybody mentioned a rotary table, yet?

Tom

Tom, you crack me up! Trust me ... it's science ... :chemist:

I don't want to discourage you from buying a mill. However before I had a mill I made a file guide for my lathe. My bull gear has 60 index detents so I can index the spindle at 90 degrees.

First pic shows the first attempt and the third shows the addition of some spring steel if I don't have a file with a safe edge.
guide in use.jpg side view close 2.jpg file guide with file edge guard.jpg

Set the depth of the flat with the tool holder height adjustment.

David

I don't want to discourage you from buying a mill. However before I had a mill I made a file guide for my lathe. My bull gear has 60 index detents so I can index the spindle at 90 degrees.

First pic shows the first attempt and the third shows the addition of some spring steel if I don't have a file with a safe edge.
View attachment 310738 View attachment 310739 View attachment 310740

Set the depth of the flat with the tool holder height adjustment.

David
:laughing: You aren't discouraging me!

That's really clever. I'm amazed at the enginuity of our board members. Need to go off scrounging bits and pieces of stock...

Back