Making a new worktable.

Thanks, good input!
I will be reinforcing the plywood further with diagonal studs, this should help a lot with sideways strength, will probably do something similar to the "side plywood".
I'll also install the CI plates over the small opening rather than the large, then have the lighter granite over the larger span.

In other news, chaos in the workshop.
I was going to drill 2 threaded holes to be able to attach my vice onto one of the CI plates.
While doing this I thought it would be a good idea to have more holes on this plate, spread out with a 120mm(same measurement as the vice).
5 holes in and the belt between my Z stepper motor and Z-axis screw snapped so the machine is now stuck 60mm deep into the plate. :rolleyes:
IMG_1088.jpg

My temporary solution was to remove the motors and various other stuff in the way and then make up and extension to the Z-screw.
Now I can use my powerdrill or ratchet to raise and lower the machine at least, the CNC control can still do X and Y movements.
Will fix this permanently in a few weeks so didn't want to spend money on a new belt.
IMG_1124.jpg

It's been way too hot so work has been slow but all the wooden parts has been planed flat and cut to length.
IMG_1112.jpg

I'm a bit limited in clamps so could only do a few setups at a time.
This is the upper front and back piece, the other one is standing up in the top right corner.
IMG_1122.jpg

Despite being as careful as possible when cutting everything, when gluing the entire top together I noticed it wasn't perfectly square.
I managed to get it back into square with a diagonal strap going across the top, once the glue has set it should be fun.
One of the CI plates and my granite plate(in the wooden box) is to the right.
IMG_1127.jpg

I realized I hadn't really thought out how to insert the middle reinforcements, I didn't want to use the tiny dowels I had so will have to think of another solution.

That is extremely stout. You must believe in the mantra "anything worth building is worth Over-Building".
From what I have seen, a lot of us here labor under the same ethos.

very nice! Easy to build it stout now than to try to add stoutness later :) It was a pain in the bum adding an extra layer under 2 of my 3 bench tops after I had already been using it for a year or two, though I'm glad I did.

Rather built it right once than fix it 5 times. :grin:
Then again, this is the third table I build so not sure how well I'm following my own rules.

Decided to use my router to inset the middle beams.
Since I had already cut all pieces to length, they were now too short and had to cut new ones.
Should end up being a stronger design and have more resistance to twist.
Also ended up modifying my router with a wider plate at the bottom, much easier to keep it stable when cutting.
IMG_1142.jpg

Top frame screwed and glued, should now be plenty strong and have support locations for the big CI plates.
I need to make the special see-saw solution for the granite plate so I don't induce twist into it if it's not sitting perfectly flat.
I ended up making double inner beams in both places, minimal extra work and adds more strength.
IMG_1153.jpg

The next step is the legs/standing frames.
Kinda stuck thinking about drawer slides at the moment.
Previously I've made them myself from hardwood but I don't really like the feel that gives.
Considering investing in "real" slides but the price difference between these two solutions are quite big, further compounded by the fact that I want a lot of small drawers rather than a few big.
Might have to do a few experiments with different materials to see if I can get a better feel, I do have some very slippery plastic at home that might work better than wood against wood.

Last edited:
that's looking very stout!

For drawer slides I'm not sure what you have available in Sweden, but for my bench I used a pack of 10 full extension 100lb slides from Amazon. They're astonishingly robust - I have easily 200lb of steel in one of the drawers - and slide very smoothly even when heavily loaded. Takes a bit of fiddling to get them straight and parallel, but part of that was my lack of woodworking chops and wonky recycled wood.

that's looking very stout!

For drawer slides I'm not sure what you have available in Sweden, but for my bench I used a pack of 10 full extension 100lb slides from Amazon. They're astonishingly robust - I have easily 200lb of steel in one of the drawers - and slide very smoothly even when heavily loaded. Takes a bit of fiddling to get them straight and parallel, but part of that was my lack of woodworking chops and wonky recycled wood.

Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pricing isn’t all that bad for that kind of capacity. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked the Swedish version of Amazon and actually found something similar, much cheaper than the other places I've checked.
So now i have 10 pairs ordered, should arrive on friday. :grin:
Much better than having to manually fabricate that amount of slides.

Sometimes I really appreciate woodworking, it's quite fast when you get into it.
Started working on the bottom frame yesterday evening, this was roughly 2 hours of work, just dry fitted for now.
Will add some screws here and there and drill holes for dowels so everything registers correctly when I glue it up.
IMG_1177.jpg

The best thing I ever did for my shop was put my heavy machines and tables up on blocks so I could get under them with a pallet jack and move them easily. It is MUCH easier than retractable wheels and makes moving big pieces quite easy.

Here is an aquarium stand I built a little while ago... your pictures were kind of Déjà vu

0816192338 (Medium).jpg

0901191544 (Medium).jpg

I am looking forwards to seeing your finished table!

Last edited:
Back