Making a new worktable.

That's distressing to hear. Let's all hope for a speedy return to (somewhat) normal conditions.

We have allot of stuff blocked so a pallet jack will fit. They are available in several sizes. Very handy.

Yeah I'd love one of those short pallet jacks, would be quite convinent for stuff like this.
But in such a small space they take up some valuable floor space so we'll see if I ever get one.

Took so much mental effort to get back on this project, really dreaded installing all the drawers, repetetive jobs are not my forté...
To make fitment easier I figured I'd use a template relying on the topmost, already fitted drawer.
What I should've realized before I even started is that this multiplies any error your previous screws have, and when you do this 8 times things get real weird..
IMG_2002.JPG

So my second try, after drilling 112 holes in the wrong location, was to properly fit the bottom drawer and then use some parallels for a perfect level and distance for the next slide.
IMG_2006.JPG

Worked much better!
All drawers installed and slides nicely!
I ended up printing spacers intead of using washers to space out the slides from the boxes, felt like a waste to empty my entire box of washers. :grin:
Next step is that I want to paint this entire bench, just to make sure the wood doesn't soak up any liquid/dust etc like it currently does..
IMG_2007.JPGIMG_2008.JPG

looks fantasitic, that'll help a great deal in keeping the workshop organised. Polyeurothane also works well to seal the wood.

A pallet jack doesn't take up much space if you just leave it parked under whatever you just moved out of the way.
Mounting drawer guides. Figure the length of support you need to rest the guide on for the top drawer. Cut two pieces of junk wood to that length. Rest the guide on them and screw in place. We use Makita impact drivers for all screws. A drill is a poor second choice. Put a screw in the horizontal slots at each end of the guide. After all the drawers are mounted you can come back and adjust the in/out position slightly on the slotted holes then put a couple of locking screws in.
Repeat for each drawer going down by cutting off the sticks to the calculated length. No compounding of errors. Just two sticks cut to the correct length. You can locate the screws quite accurately if you scribe vertical lines for them.
Make yourself a jig stick for locating the drawer member. Way faster and more accurate than measuring each one.

Alright so not a lot is happening lately, started studying at university so time will be even more limited I suspect. :grin:
Still haven't decided on what fronts I want but I have started filling the boxes up, slowly.

Each drawer has around 65mm of height so I'm trying to use that as much as possible when designing holders for tools.
The reason I want to design a holder for every little thing is to make sure there is only 1 correct location to put it back, helps my messy brain to keep things clean.

Top drawer is measuring and lathe stuff so far, nothing is really fixed for now.
IMG_2078.JPGIMG_2079.JPG

Second drawer is more milling related.
Just getting all my ER32 collets in order was a pretty big relief, they've been lying in a bag for quite a while now.
IMG_2081.JPGIMG_2082.JPG

Bottom row has all my slitting saws, pretty nice finally having them in order, not in a pile behind 5 other piles.
IMG_2080.JPG

I must say that i love your design for the slitting saw arbors i may steel that idea.

Thanks! Feel free! :grin:
Here's another idea I had, pretty darn satisfied!

Milled some holes, yet again the CNC conversion proves useful. :cool:
IMG_2121.JPG

Slap on tons of wood.
IMG_2126.JPG

Add some amazon sliders.
IMG_2136.JPG

Boom!
No more leaning over the dirty mill to reach the tools behind it!
Room for 25x DIN2080(iso40) holders which is way more than I have(so far. :grin:)
IMG_2138.JPG

Room for 25x DIN2080(iso40) holders which is way more than I have(so far. :grin:)
Oh, sing me a song about "way more than I have(so far.
:grin:
)"!

Limited in time and energy as always but managed to get all the drawer fronts finished-ish.
Needs a quick smoothing around the edges with a sander but so does everything else before I paint it.

Thin aluminium stock so I could split a pretty huge sheet(about 3x2 meter) on the tablesaw.
I hate repetetive tasks so I made a jig to accurately hold the parts, this lets me run the same program over and over without having to measure things in.
IMG_2228.JPG

A quick testfit is looking promising.
IMG_2234.JPG

All the fronts secured and I'm loving the look!
I think it's almost time to tear everything apart for a final sand and paint.
Once I lift the granite and cast iron plates off I will also seal up the open areas of the frame beneath them, to stop dust and such from falling into the drawer and cupboard.
IMG_2238.JPG

Back