Making a pulley

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This was a couple of weeks ago not today.
After swapping the lathe motor for a treadmill motor I decided to use the lathe motor on my sand muller that was underpowered in the extreme.
To this end I needed a larger pulley to get the motor down from 1420 to around 30 rpm and being a long weekend everything was shut so I made one.
Three disks from some scrap sheet 8mm thick and some bolts.
8mm was too thick for the middle so I thinned it down. Not a good idea (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-to-make-a-phenominal-chatter-generator.92439/) but I got there.
Next I bolted them together and indexed around for twelve bolts, I used a 60 tooth change wheel to index every 5 gap but ended up with 15 bolts because It seems I cant count.
I used my tool post mounted watchmakers drill I was given to make the marks then transferred the assembly to the drill press to drill and tap all the holes.
pulley1.jpg

Ending up with this
pulley2.jpg

Back to the lathe to drill and bore the centre for the shaft and turn the angled sides for the "V" belt.
The motor pulley is only 1.25" dia onto this 7" pulley on the lay-shaft then via a 1.75" pulley onto the 12" pulley on the centre drive shaft.

pulley3.jpg

It uses the original lathe rotary switch to give foreward and reverse, low speed and bags of torque.
I knocked up this little sheet bender from some scrap to make a shroud as a bit of protection for the wiring.

sheet-bender.jpg
Cant wait to get casting again.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures of your little homemade sheet bender, I was planning to put one together too. Have the materials just not a clear idea of the design yet. Probably won't have fingers and will be short like around 12" to 14"
-Mark

If you want to go crazy, check this out.

Attachments

• Sheet metal brake.pdf
    723.5 KB · Views: 31
Looks like that pulley shouldn't come apart.

I dont know about nice Mike, its ugly as sin close up. Hopefully the shroud will cover up most of it. :laughing:

It's great to see you "back at it." Best to you!

Back