Making a Welder's Third Hand

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I made a third hand that looks kinda like the pic below but mine has a piece of 1" square re-bar welded to the top of the horizontal portion for weight, but also as a good spot for the work clamp in case I use it to complete the welding circuit. The whole thing is steel, and I ground the sides of the re-bar, where the work clamp will go, as well as the 3 contact points to a shinny finish for good electrical contact. Now I'm wondering if coating the contact surfaces with bronze brazing will improve the conductance to the work- piece. I'm also thinking of putting a continuous bead of bronze from work clamp spot to the point that touches the work- piece. Being a cheapskate, I wanted to do this all with material I had on hand, as opposed to buying an expensive chunk of copper. All opinions appreciated. Don't be kind, if you think the steel will work just as well as the bronze, or any other ideas, speak up. Thanks, JR49third hand.jpg

Whatever you make to get help doing a job is a third hand , but the weighted type is a welders third hand. Welding requires many hands fixtures , positioners . Nice build on yours. I use to use vise grips clamped to heavy angle , wasn't doing enough welding to warrant a home made one. But seeing yours I will next time I'm welding.

Ive seen those for small parts but I prefer clamps, less cooling shrink

Here’s acouple I made awhile ago. Used stuff laying around. For tips I used OA welding tips and some old mig gun tips. Made ones for low profile work and the other two are for bigger/taller stuff. Great helpers!

Back