Making a worm shaft on my mini lathe?

jlager

Registered
Registered
I just got myself my first lathe, a Grizzly G8688. Did a bunch of reading and made myself a machinist hammer as a learning project which I'm quite happy with how it turned out:

46492602_290413934937357_1580865023708758016_n.jpg

Anyway, my main purpose for getting a lathe is I wanted to be able to make my own car parts as I'm restoring an old car for which I can often not find parts for anymore. One of the first things I would like to try and make is this worm shaft for the speedometer drive that is worn out, if this is something that can even be done on a lathe. This guy right here:

mercedes-g-speedo-drive-w460-w461_3.jpg

Any tips on what I need to be researching for how to make this part? I don't even really know what search terms I should be using.

That would be done by helical or spiral milling, not on a lathe, the spiral angle is too steep for lathe production.

That would be done by helical or spiral milling, not on a lathe, the spiral angle is too steep for lathe production.

That makes sense, thank you! I have a friend with a large Haas CNC mill that I assume would be able to make this?

Back