Making a Y axis acme thread

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Several years ago in making improvements on my old Springfield"Ideal" lathe, I fabricated a new Y Axis acme threaded rod to replace
the old worn one. While doing some cleaning, I found the old part so thought I would make a post to explain how I made the new one.
They say a lathe can make it's own parts and this is somewhat true. My Springfield didn't have a follower rest so used my Monarch
for which I had already made a follower rest. I used a piece of cold roll material and turned the acme threads with the help of the steady.
I remember that there was considerable slop in the old Y Axis as the handle would turn about 3/4 of a revolution before moving the tool
and only about a 1/4 rotation on the new rod. I expect there is a fair amount of wear on the brass nut as well but so far it is still being used.
I'm including several photos after the fact of the follower rest, the wear on the acme rod and the old rod.
IMG_0419.JPG
Here is a photo of the follower rest I made some years ago to fit the existing holes on the lathe apron on the Monarch. P1030115.JPGP1030116.JPG

P1030118.JPG
I included two photos of the old feed rod showing both a good and a worn part on the old rod. Also just above is a photo of the old feed rod I took yesterday
sitting on top of the apron of the Springfield. Several other improvements visible in this photo is the 1/8 inch tubing that feeds oil to the apron ways using a one shot type pump and the new graduation wheels on the Y axis and compound.

A future project I have been considering is to apply some Turcite to the apron and scrape the lathe ways. Sooner or later I will get around to it hopefully...:rolleyes:

Thanks for looking. Have a good day!:encourage:

Hey Cathead
I'm the (maybe only) other guy with a Springfield 'ideal' lathe on this forum. I want to make a follow rest like yours (looks great and simple). Would you send me a picture of it taken from the tail stock end. I assume there is a backside contact point that is not visible in the picture you posted.
Thanks
Aaron

Hey Cathead
I'm the (maybe only) other guy with a Springfield 'ideal' lathe on this forum. I want to make a follow rest like yours (looks great and simple). Would you send me a picture of it taken from the tail stock end. I assume there is a backside contact point that is not visible in the picture you posted.
Thanks
Aaron

Aaron,

I would be glad to help you out any way I can. The follower I made is mounted on the Monarch 14C lathe. It mounts on two
points(threaded holes). If you want photos of the setup on the Monarch, I can do that easily. I have no follower rest on the
Springfield. Yes, we are the rare birds with Springfields it seems.

Most all the follow rests that I have seen, the lower jaw is horizontal and on center, and the vertical jaw is truly vertical or somewhat inclined towards the front of the lathe on a radial centerline, this is how the one on my (sold with my shop) Monarch CK was made. On my Regal LeBlond, the jaw is simply a square block made of cast iron with a square notch on one corner to support the work And is held to the bracket with a bolt in an inclined slot in the square jaw.

Thanks for the pictures. That clears up what I thought but could not see. Gotta go look at my lathe!
Aaron

Thanks for the pictures. That clears up what I thought but could not see. Gotta go look at my lathe!
Aaron

Good luck on the project. If I can be helpful in any way, please let me know.

Back