Making an internal keyway without a broach?

If it's just a spacer, why cut an internal keyway? Make a bushing and cut a section out for key clearance. Essentially a "C" shape.

Several perfectly logical suggestions about ways to do it without an internal keyway, but I got fascinated by the methods of doing a keyway without a broach.

Plus, I'm retired and it's going to be a loooooong winter, so what the hey, why not do it the hard way.

Cut a piece of round stock, faced it on my big lathe, center drilled it, scribed a circle at the 1" dimension for the main bore.

Then I set it up with a vise and a V-block in my drill press and drilled a .221 (?, too lazy to go look at my letter drills to get the exact measurement) hole centered over the 1" diameter.

Back to the big lathe, drilled in steps out to my biggest bit which is 3/4 inch.

Then, seeing as I don't have a boring bar for the big lathe yet, went to my little lathe and started boring the hole out to final dimension. Going great too, if only .003 at a pass. Then my Grizzly 8688 quit. A bit of troubleshooting seems to indicate that the motor control board failed.

Researching it here, found a guy that fixes them for a flat rate and he just happens to be right here in Maine. Board will go out in the morning, project on hold until its repaired and returned.

Keyseater, I dislike operating these machines but they work well.
This is my least favorite machine to use.

Put a 1" plug in the bore and drill through at the interface with the bore. Drill slightly under width of key. Remove plug. File square.

Back