Making Arbors---Morning Project

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
It was a good morning to head for the shop and make an arbor or two since it is well below zero outside. One was
made of steel and the other aluminum. There are quite a few operations to make these but nothing really difficult.
I used a 5C collet holder in the lathe and transfered the part to the spin indexer for the milling work. I will likely make
a few more as they are fun to make and quite useful at times. The ends could easily be machined down to a smaller
size if needed for something of odd size. The aluminum one is 3/4 inch and the steel one is 5/8 inch diameter.

P1020066.JPG
P1020065.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done, a great way too start the day, chilly or other-wise.

Another cold morning and another early morning session in the shop.

My HSS cut off tool snapped off making it only somewhat usable and
looking around I found that 3/4 x 5 in 1/8 inch wide cut off tools are
getting pretty spendy. As an experiment, I made up a cut off tool
using a square SPG422 carbide and silver soldering it to a piece of
1/8 x 3/4 flat material. It seems to work fine after about 20 minutes of
grinding to get it shaped right. The SPG 422 happens to be 1/8 inch
wide so it was a perfect candidate for a cut off blade. It was chipped
on all four sides anyway so it's not going to waste.

Also, I made another expanding arbor, this time in 7/8 so my collection
is growing.

Here's a photo of the 7/8 arbor and the cut off blade.

P1020076.JPG

Another cool morning in the north woods....

This morning I decided to try make an expanding mandrel. This requires turning both an inside taper and an outside taper.
This one will cover somewhat less than an inch to somewhat over an inch so somewhat more
useful than the stub arbors. I used a slitting saw and a 5c spin index to hold and indicate the part
using the vertical mill for the sawing. The most difficult part was boring the long inside taper
since the boring bar has to be quite small to cover the distance. It took about two hours to
get it completed. Here's a couple photos to exemplify what it is and how it would be used
to size a bushing. It will need some sort of drive dog as it will be held in the lathe between centers for the turning.P1020079.JPGP1020078.JPGP1020082.JPG

Last edited:
Back