Making d1-4 backplates

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Anyone out there have experience making d1-4 backplates for mounting chuck to lathe. I have a 6” bison three jaw I’m looking to use but has a 1” threaded back plate for my jet 9x20. I’d like to replace the factory chuck that came with the lathe. Also have a 6” suburban mag chuck I’d like to make a plate for too.
The basic machining doesn’t seem to hard I was more worried about the seating surface and getting the taper fit correct. Pins should be easy to make also. Any tips on machining would be great. Thanks

You can buy a cast iron disk from McMaster Carr for $60-$80 or you could buy a D1 back from CDCO for $45-$60.

I would purchase the pins. They are hardened, are made to pretty high tolerances, and can be exposed to heavy stresses at times. You do NOT want the chuck to fly off the machine...

Yeah I just checked cdco for a 6” their 48 and a 8” is 58. I’m gonna see if one can pick up there. I live pretty close to them cut down on that shipping! Thanks guys looks cheaper to buy than the grief.

At that price it is not worth making your own. Please let us know your take on the quality if you buy one.
(Although I would have confidence in making my own pins from graded bolts when making a backplate from scratch.)

I’ll keep you guys updated. I dred calling the guy to check on picking up his rushing and broken English are hard to comprehend.

Hard to comprehend??? China Frank???? ROFL. His English is a little sketchy.

Oh I called mister frank yesterday to check about pick up orders. He said NO pick up only delivery. Sucks because I was right down the street. Shars is looking like the better deal with the Black Friday sale comin up.

I didn't know he changed his policy. I used to pick up there from time to time.

Back