Huge thanks.

Daryl
MN

I'm late on finding this thread.
This is great!!
Huge thanks.

Daryl
MN
There is more than one way to skin a cat; HM is a great forum to present the "other" way to do things, especially with limited resources.

Actually I am an industry professional. I was a master machinist and then an engineer for a major machine tool manufacturer. Now I am retired. But to answer your questions, yes the engraving is done in one pass. I use a Nicholson "smooth" cut file to clean the burrs. You want to use a "fine" file. You don't want to scratch up your dial or you will sand off the numbers polishing it back up. Feel free to ask anything you want to know. I will help all I can.
OK...Now it makes a little more sense. Don't ask me why, but I thought you were a maintenance man in your prior life. God only knows where I got that from Mark. This prior job description you just gave makes a lot more sense to me. You are a very, very skilled craftsman Mark.

OK...Now it makes a little more sense. Don't ask me why, but I thought you were a maintenance man in your prior life. God only knows where I got that from Mark. This prior job description you just gave makes a lot more sense to me. You are a very, very skilled craftsman Mark.

I started out as a maintenance man in a machine shop and went up from there. I have worn many hats in my "colorful" life, several at the same time ...... and I always colored outside the lines too..... way outside.... Lol.

Nice to see you post Mark! Hope all is going ok for you.

Nice to see you post Mark! Hope all is going ok for you.

I am adapting to my life as it is ... for now .... but I don't know how long it will be before I can machine again .... or if I will again. Being in the wheelchair is not as big a problem as the tremors are. It is very difficult to do things and .002" can easily turn into.200" in an instant. If they get worse or remain the same, my machining days may be over. It takes soooooo long to do anything. Simple tasks that used to take 10 minutes, now take 1 or two hours. It takes almost 2 hour to get up, half as**d make the bed, get dressed, and make a sandwich for breakfast.

I am adapting to my life as it is ... for now .... but I don't know how long it will be before I can machine again .... or if I will again. Being in the wheelchair is not as big a problem as the tremors are. It is very difficult to do things and .002" can easily turn into.200" in an instant. If they get worse or remain the same, my machining days may be over. It takes soooooo long to do anything. Simple tasks that used to take 10 minutes, now take 1 or two hours. It takes almost 2 hour to get up, half as**d make the bed, get dressed, and make a sandwich for breakfast.
Just keep doing what you can , I just had another round of shots and some steroids pumped in the worst pain spot, I screamed when he stabbed the needle in that spot . No fun but I vowed to not get knocked out if I don't need to . The three grand for fifteen minutes is just rape in my opinion. I'm happy your getting around , I'm still off the morphine and will never get that again. You will find away to machine again but it'll take longer is all. Have faith in you I do.

Don't let it get you down Mark. There are ways to manage many disabilities. And I do get the wheelchair because after my injury i was wheelchair bound for 2 years. It is what it is and we just have to deal with the cards life deals us. As far as the incredible added time it now takes me to do simple things I did before being injured... I don't let that bother me. I just plug along and do what I'm trying to do. When it's done...I can at least look in the mirror and say I did this...Or that.
For what it's worth... One of my biggest challenges is lifting and moving heavy items. And these days... heavy for me is anything over 40 lbs. I may spend half the day just figuring out how I'm going to get it done. But I do it... and at the end of the day, or a couple of days latter I get that sense of accomplishment.

Back