making inserted screwdriver bits

I've run into a problem with what I thought was a simple task. I keep needing to grind down flathead screwdriver bits to fit weirdball screws. I've bought extras, but they're generally not very good, ranging in hardness from "soft" to "twists like a swizzle stick" when trying to break stuck screws free.

"So!" I think, "I'll just order a piece of 5/16" 4130 or 4140 hex stock and make a my own out of properly heat-treated steel."

How foolish...

So far, I haven't been able to find any hex stock smaller than 3/8", much less 4130 or even 1144. The best I've been able to come up with was to buy hex keys and cut them up, but many of those are soft too.

I could buy round stock and cut flats, but that seems like a ridiculous amount of work just to make screwdriver bits. So I figured maybe I was too close to the problem, and I'd give you guys a chance to laugh at my failure to come up with a simple solution.

What's the simplest way to make some screwdriver bits out of a decent alloy?

Buy a set of harden allen wrenches. The better ones don't twist. Otherwise you have twisted junk. Been down that road of cheap allen wrenches.

Good Luck

Used just for driving screws the Brownells sets are great however you must properly fit the bit to the slot. Close to the full width of the slot and as close to full length of the slot as possible.
Because they are so hard they would break used in an impact.

I like the suggestion of using allens, tough and hard.

With 5/16 bits you could use one of these. Can't beat it for getting 'stuck' screws unstuck. The heavier the hammer the better.

Oh yes....impact drivers are typically 5/16" or even 3/8" drive. I thought the OP was talking about standard interchangeable screwdriver type bits. Sorry for the confusion. Carry on. :)

Used just for driving screws the Brownells sets are great however you must properly fit the bit to the slot. Close to the full width of the slot and as close to full length of the slot as possible.
Because they are so hard they would break used in an impact.

I like the suggestion of using allens, tough and hard.

Me too, buy some high quality 1/4" hex keys The long shank series, cut them up for many bits. you should be able to buy just the one size at better tool shops. The good quality ones will be tough and hard, won't bend and hard to break. Just be careful to avoid overheating while grinding them.

Use round stock, buy yourself a Hexagonal Collet Block and the collet to fit your stock size, throw a vice on the mill and you've got an easy job.

Back