Making internal splines

I don't like the set screw look on these knobs.
My shaft specs are the standard metric split shaft pots.
I've seen knobs, with cylindrical bores, and an S spring insert, that bites into the hole. The bar of the "S" engages
the slot in a split shaft. There might be a dimple in the bar, because it made a good tight friction fit to the shaft.
It might have been a D shaft, such as on my electric oven knobs (plastic knob, steel spring insert, onto
a D shaft).

Alas, don't know a supplier for such. Maybe a manufacturer of the pots can connect you, though.

Many options are about.

First question to ponder is the user and operation.

If the user "eats bananas and walks on their knuckles" it requires a different design that that of a gentle touch.

Contact the manufacturer of the pot and ask them where one gets the knob to fit.

Simply put they build them for some need as someone wanted them at some point in time.

Likely the knows will be plastic but material does not matter.

You can get a plastic knob and machine it to form an insert that can be epoxied in or the knob manufacturer may have the inserts.

If torque is not much the knob could just slip on.

Or creative idea would be to cross drill a hole in the hole.

Imagine looking into the hole and shifting it at an angle to where you could drill a tiny hole into the side of the hole.

In this you slide in a chunk of wire to act as a key to prevent rotation.

Bend it then it adds holding power to help keep knob in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Hi All

I want to make 6mm wide by 18 teeth internal splines in c360 brass for guitar knobs.
Any ideas on how?
I'm imagining some sort of male spline bit that I punch into a hole size below the teeth diameter.
Alternatively, if I could just by plastic 18-spline inserts I'd do that but they appear to be non-existent on the Web.
You have not supplied the single most important bit if information which is How Many Parts?

Back