Making lathe QC tool post tool holder without dovetail tool?

I just completed two AXA tool holders. I used a cheap HSS dovetail cutter that I got from All Industrial Tool for less than $20.

You can make a pair of dovetails by cutting or milling two pieces of steel plate at 60 degrees, then bolt them to the body of your holder. Of course, they have to be spaced to match the Aloris. I have seen a description of this approach showing a real-life example but I can't find the web site now (sorry about that). Hopefully someone else will come up with the link.
My dovetails are bolted on is this what you were looking for?
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/a-vertical-slide-for-a-9x20-lathe.49724/page-2
from message 33

You could take the cheapskate approach I took - get a length of 1" silver steel, machine it on the lathe and mill to shape, then heat and quench it to harden. This won't cost me as much if I break a tooth on it. Obviously as it's carbon steel you really have to be careful milling with it so as not to overheat the edges.
I used the pictured cutter (sorry - not a very clear photo) to make a parting tool holder for my lathe.20171024_174341_LLS.jpg20171029_122151_LLS.jpg

Rob

Hi Savarin,

I wasn't thinking of your build thread, but, yes, like that. I DID eventually find the web site: dovetail slides
-H

I wasn't thinking of your build thread, but, yes, like that. I DID eventually find the web site: dovetail slides

BTW another nice aspect of making the dovetails out of separate pieces is you can use the same setup to cut the gib strip. Edit: you DO need a slitting saw (and mill) for this, a non-starter if you ain't got 'em.

It is extremely easy to go from undersize to oversize when cutting dovetails to fit a QCTP. You REALLY have to sneak up on it. It is better if you make a plug gage that fits the OEM tool holders well, and then use it to test the one you are making.

It is good to sneak up on critical dimensions, it may be better to take measurements,
but it is BEST to take the QCTP itself to check the fit on the QCTH being machined while it is still registered in the jaws of the vise.

It is good to sneak up on critical dimensions, it may be better to take measurements,
but it is BEST to take the QCTP itself to check the fit on the QCTH being machined while it is still registered in the jaws of the vise.

Yep :/ I popped the QCTP off the lathe to check it before removing it (figuring I might be too tight!) and it worked fine, so I removed it. Turns out, I needed to check both mount locations. I left plenty of aluminum, so tonight's job is refacing the side and trying again! This time I'll stop quite a bit early and try to sneak up on it.

Yes, absolutely! It pays to make provisions for that in your setup, so the tool post can get in there to be used as a gage without upsetting the setup.

Welp, I ended up not getting a chance to work in the shop last night, so no work got done :) Instead, found this guy on CL really cheap and had to jump at it. I still have to figure out how to get it OUT of my truck and into my shop, as well as how to power it (I have 220v, so I probably need to get another VFD), but its in pretty awesome shape. Weighs literal tons.

IMG_20181004_054011.jpgIMG_20181004_054017.jpgIMG_20181004_054019.jpgIMG_20181004_054027.jpg

Back