Mals Workshop For Restoring His Old Bikes

30232690385_6cf03a2b70_c.jpg The above post seemed to dump this image - don't know why.

MAL_7329.jpg

Alright the new lathe is in and the tidy up continues - one of the things which I need is a small lifting process to get my 4 jaw chuck off the ground and mounted onto the cam lock - also remove and use 3 jaw - so the flexibility to do it on my own - I can't lift the 4 jaw chuck. So today I have started to build a very simple overhead crane - Here are a few pics of the initial concept starting to take shape (slowly).
MAL_7627.jpg

So I have a bit of 100mm x 75mm RHS - above you see a short off cut to sort out my sizes. I also have a bunch of secondhand bearings to use as wheels and aligning bearings.

MAL_7635.jpg

So the first parts to make are two axles - these will be the load carrying axles for my "crane". Here I am tapping the end of the axle 6mm x 1mm to hold my bearing wheels onto the end of the axle. On second thoughts I should have used circlips. Noted for next time around.MAL_7636.jpg
Here is the bearing retained with the 6mm bolt - I later opted for a smaller diameter washer.

MAL_7639.jpg

Here is the first of my completed axles - I have positioned it inside the RHS which has a 20mm section machined out.

MAL_7640.jpg

Here is the RHS turned upside down to show the sample piece with the machined groove.

The crane needs to lift maybe 100kg max - I am going to use a manual boat winch bolted to a plate that hangs off this set of axles.

Lots to go but have made a good start.

Mal

The shop has come a long way Mal, looking pretty ship shape. We all have to go through that process from time time. I can barely walk through my shop as I have been spending all my time working on my new space, and things have really gotten out of hand in the old one. That crane should be the bee's knees. I know I can no longer lift things that I used to throw around with out a thought. Ah, the joys of aging. Cheers, Mike

Looking good stuff to make room after years of accumulation. I know I've got thirty years to move around trying to sell but you have to give or almost pay them to take it. Thousands of dollars in beautiful wood I bought for years now I'm unable to do as I planned can't sell or even give to a family member who's so talented in wood he's an artist in many people's eyes. He's got a barn full and I believe him. Hopefully by spring the doctors will fix my main pain area and ill be back every day working in the shop . I like your mill is it China or Taiwan ? I wanted one with duel options but no money means no mill.

Hi Silver Bullet

The mill is just a low cost Chinese unit - the horizontal drive comes in handy - it is a 415 volt model so not too bad - obviously it is built to a price - still a lot better than none at all.

Used it today - so it gets used.

Mal

watching intently. I need to build something very much like this.

Wrat

A very nice shop, I could not help notice the fuel/gas containers in the shop. I keep mine in a out building.
Al.

Back