• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

man , I gotta build me an indexer!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mark_f

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Today I milled the hex head on my drawbar for my vertical head. The problem came to light as I had no way to index the 60 degree increments to make a nice hex head that a wrench will fit on. I don't own an indexer! Then the light in my brain came on and this is how I did it . I cut a presicsion laid out hex on a piece of cardboard carton then cut the center out to fit my drawbar and stuck it on the back end. I used my precision square to line up the side of the hex , made the cut, turned the part and lined up the next side , cut the part an so on. Man, I gotta build me an indexer!

Mark
:roflmao:

finished hex head on my drawbar.jpg indexer ready to install on drawbar.jpg milling flats on drawbar.jpg poor man's indexer.jpg

finished hex head on my drawbar.jpg indexer ready to install on drawbar.jpg milling flats on drawbar.jpg poor man's indexer.jpg

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Nice jop. A good solution for the problem at hand.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Nice job and you got me thinken. You could super glue a large nut on the end and then use your square or could also use a bubble level or a test indicator on a base…Good Luck.

Rick Leslie

Active User
Registered
You can't argue with the results. How did you secure the template to the work? The 'nut' idea works really well too, but you can pick up a collet indexer for a few dollars that will simplify things even more. Of course, then you have to have the appropriate 5C collets to hold the stock.

John Hasler

Active User
You can't argue with the results. How did you secure the template to the work? The 'nut' idea works really well too, but you can pick up a collet indexer for a few dollars that will simplify things even more. Of course, then you have to have the appropriate 5C collets to hold the stock.
Where can I find a collet indexer for a few dollars? The best price I see is at least $100 plus shipping.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Where can I find a collet indexer for a few dollars? The best price I see is at least $100 plus shipping.
Try fleabay, $35 plus shipping for a SpinDex

chuckorlando

Registered
Registered
Nice work. I see spin indexers for 30 buck range all the time. Grizz has one for 46http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-C-Spin-Index/G5649

enco has one for 55 http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=235-6011&PMPXNO=950007&PARTPG=INLMK3

shars has one for 50 http://www.shars.com/products/view/420/5C_Spin_Index_Fixture

this one is 33 http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C-PRECISIO...6?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item519988c20c

Of coarse I am only linking the cheapest I am finding. I cant speak to quality.

pineyfolks

Active User
Registered
I posted this a while back. I made a simple indexer that uses the same collets as my mill. I made 1 out of hex stock and 1 round one with holes and a pin I use to index. Made it out of scrap so all I had in it was time.

100_6614.JPG 100_6617.JPG 100_6612.JPG

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
A little bit off topic but is that a Barker milling machine?

Rick Leslie

Active User
Registered

These are what I had in mind, but the spin fixtures are cheaper and more versatile. I use the hex and square closers to put drive flats on my chamber reamers and use the spin fixture for everything else. I find the accuracy to be quite good for the cost.

Larry Hoy

Swarf
Registered
you can make do with two large hex nuts from your junk box, drill to fit, saw a slot in one of the nuts and clamp in mill vice. I have several works ok.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Any advice on a spin indexer, are they worth it, What can they do, and more importantly what cant they do. I've heard they can be used to sharpen drill bits and milling cutters, is this true. I gather they can only be used for 360 degree divisions and equal parts of 360. can other plates be fitted or is this sufficient.

Tozguy

Active User
Mark, love your approach, making our own stuff is my game too. Your draw bar is drawing out some interesting questions and answers as well.

Larry Hoy

Swarf
Registered
Try village Press they have a book of projects by Ted Hanson I have built the dividing head detailed in this book. It will provide as many divisions as most commercial dividing heads. I found his plans to be easy to follow can built from your junk box it is one of the most handy items I have ever built

Just proves Marks a pattern maker too. He just does the job with what he has . A barker mill is what built small parts by the millions during the wars. There were rows and rows with women operators running 24-7 along with many other hand Miller's some had feeds or a lever or spinner type just making chips and parts. So don't underestimate there use . Marks work proves this . I think Marks mill is a Burke 4 or 5 but I'm not sure .

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
4 years ago when I posted that. It had the link to the tool in the pic. This site has gone through several upgrades sense And the rest of the link got lost.

[6]
[5] [7]