Managed to bust my new lathe :/

The previous repair is so bad,its likely to have failed under its own weight.......braze welding(which is filling a vee d out groove with bronze)......not silicon bronze ,which is best restricted to sheet metal and water fittings.,but tobin or nickle bronze,which while a bit harder to get to wet,is equal in strength to steel......Incidentally,when welding cast iron,use a bit of activated scaling powder first ,to make the bronze wet,then change over to borax flux as soon as the surfaces are wet....The scaling powder is apt to make a porous deposit if overused.

Finally got a few hours in the shop and pulled the lathe apart. It required quite a bit of disassembly to get this far!

By the time I was done, the welding shop near my shop was closed, so I didn't get a chance to ask him to do it, but I might try a shop near my office. I have all weekend in the shop (first/last for a while!) So it would be nice to have it welded or brazed back together by then!

Sand the broken mating surfaces slightly. Hole will be undersize and oval. Braze together and then the trick is to mount it so you can bore the hole back to size and location.
Good luck.

Finally got a few hours in the shop and pulled the lathe apart. It required quite a bit of disassembly to get this far!

By the time I was done, the welding shop near my shop was closed, so I didn't get a chance to ask him to do it, but I might try a shop near my office. I have all weekend in the shop (first/last for a while!) So it would be nice to have it welded or brazed back together by then!
I not saying the way I would fix that is the right way, worst way, or whatever way.
I see that your not really experienced at welding or brazing, (no disrespect) but I tell you how I would do it if it was mine,,and in-case someone else might want to give it a try..

Bevel out both pieces so all the broken rough casting is smooth, but leave a very small indication at the inside edges by the screw just so it will still fit in its proper position, clamp it securely in position, once its heated and tinned it should braze up great and will be none in the thread are, sounds easy, but does take some skill and experience, and need to really keep an eye on it.
Tim

I managed to find a Fab shop right next to my office and their welder seemed really confident about being able to fix it. So, I'm giving that a chance.

If it ends up breaking again, I figure I can turn the top piece and bolt it to the arm of the casting easy enough.

I got the part back last night. The shop tig welded it back together and it feels really strong. I ended up having to drill the hole back to round a little, and grind the welds flat to get the handle to work right, but all seems good!

Today will hopefully be a few hours of reassembly.

Long morning, but its all back together :) I haven't cut anything, but I ran it through gears and it seems to work fine. It ended up being quite a bit of work, so now I suspect a nap is in order!

Back