Marking Oil Cans - Any ideas?

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I like most of you have a bunch of different oil cans. Cutting oil, way oil, spindle oil ... I haven't found a great way to mark them that holds up over time. Sharpies work for a while but the oil eventually washes the marks away. Tape doesn't stick for long.

I wipe the oil can clean with acetone, let it dry and paint with paint marker pen. Get them at any metal supply outfit, they go over dirt, scale, and light oil pretty well.

cheers
michael

I mark mine with sharpie, but by the time it wears off I end up remembering what can has what in it. When the lathe gets setup I will put a shelf above it just for oil cans, then mark with labels where each can sits. Then the label wouldn't be on the can to wash away but on the shelf it sits on. Hopefully I put them back where they belong :))

Ptouch labels are great as RMack pointed out, oil resistant for quite a long time and are very durable.

I use the p-touch labels too. Sometimes, I'll Mark it with Sharpie. The p touch labels don't come off so long as they were installed on a nice clean surface. Once installed, you can get oil all over them and they don't fade or come off.

I also use my P-Touch to label all my oil cans & bottles. I've only had one label fall off which was on a squeeze bottle filled with TapMagic Aluminum. It took a while for it to fall off though. Hasn't fallen off my squeeze bottle with WD-40 or any of my other cutting fluids though.

Back