[4]

Marking Oil Cans - Any ideas?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I like most of you have a bunch of different oil cans. Cutting oil, way oil, spindle oil ... I haven't found a great way to mark them that holds up over time. Sharpies work for a while but the oil eventually washes the marks away. Tape doesn't stick for long.

invisabledog

Active User
Registered
I've seen some paint, or powder coat them different colors.

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
I wipe the oil can clean with acetone, let it dry and paint with paint marker pen. Get them at any metal supply outfit, they go over dirt, scale, and light oil pretty well.

cheers
michael

raven7usa

Active User
You could put a different colored zip tie on each oil can.

rmack898

Active User
Registered
I have P-Touch labels on my oil cans that have been holding up for the last 7 years with no problems.

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I mark mine with sharpie, but by the time it wears off I end up remembering what can has what in it. When the lathe gets setup I will put a shelf above it just for oil cans, then mark with labels where each can sits. Then the label wouldn't be on the can to wash away but on the shelf it sits on. Hopefully I put them back where they belong :))

Ptouch labels are great as RMack pointed out, oil resistant for quite a long time and are very durable.

dracozny

Active User
Registered
I use squirt bottles with different colored tops.

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
I use the p-touch labels too. Sometimes, I'll Mark it with Sharpie. The p touch labels don't come off so long as they were installed on a nice clean surface. Once installed, you can get oil all over them and they don't fade or come off.

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
Thanks for all the ideas.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I also use my P-Touch to label all my oil cans & bottles. I've only had one label fall off which was on a squeeze bottle filled with TapMagic Aluminum. It took a while for it to fall off though. Hasn't fallen off my squeeze bottle with WD-40 or any of my other cutting fluids though.

rmack898

Active User
Registered
Tap Magic will dissolve anything.

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I picked up some brass tags and stamped them with what is in the can.

DSCN2390.JPG DSCN2392.JPG DSCN2394.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

extropic

Active User
Registered
I also use P-Touch labels but, after the label is applied, I wrap the can with 2" wide clear box sealing tape.

BobinWa

Active User
I am not familiar with P-touch labels, I a assume they can be purchased at a office supply store?
Bob

Hamstn

Active User
Registered
I am not familiar with P-touch labels, I a assume they can be purchased at a office supply store?
Bob
Yes.

Just ordered the printer ($19) and a couple rolls of tape today from Amazon.com

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Yes, any office supply store should carry P-Touch (made by Brother). If not P-Touch they would probably have the cheaper alternative made by Dymo. I prefer the P-Touch though.

P-Touch also makes a harsh environment label that's supposed to be more resistant to water & oil. I have not tried it though. I just use the regular labels.

Bill C.

Active User
Registered
I picked up some brass tags and stamped them with what is in the can.

My Dad had a couple of those small brass oil cans. Good to see others like them too.

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
My Dad had a couple of those small brass oil cans. Good to see others like them too.
One of those in the picture belonged to my dad, too. I've bought several over the past few years. They are just neat! I like them! The bigger pump oiler in the picture belonged to my granddad. it's almost as old as me! I remember squirting oil all over the garage when I was very young, and getting in trouble for doing it too.

Video_man

Active User
Registered
I have a half-dozen of the red Harbor Freight pressure oilers, I masked off the bottom halves and sprayed each with a different rattle-can color, then lettered the oil type on each with black enamel. They've held up pretty well for several years. I really like the brass tags idea posted earlier, however....

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
I wipe the oil can clean with acetone, let it dry and paint with paint marker pen. Get them at any metal supply outfit, they go over dirt, scale, and light oil pretty well.

cheers
michael
what l do

dracozny

Active User
Registered
Bob
Home Depot in the electrical section as well.

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
That's what I have been doing too.
Holds up well.

cheers
michael
Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
L
Great minds think alike, I was thinking the very same thing.
I also use P-Touch labels but, after the label is applied, I wrap the can with 2" wide clear box sealing tape.
Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

whitmore

Registered
I am not familiar with P-touch labels...

The printers are inexpensive, the tape (TZ type is the best for oil-resistance) will cost ya. The surface
they stick to has to be clean and flat or cylindrical (so hemisphere oilcans are problematic).

TakeDeadAim

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I took pieces of different color heat shrink and put a short piece on the tube of each can

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
P-touch here also. I have 2 of them, purchased for $1 apiece at my local thrift shop. Chinese TZ tape seems to be as good as the genuine article. I'm like Sheldon, everything gets labeled, including the label-maker. (No urine cup, though.)

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I took pieces of different color heat shrink and put a short piece on the tube of each can
You can take this one step further ... Use a Sharpie to write on the shrink tubing before shrinking. Shrinkage will intensify the darkness of the mark, and it's pretty permanent.

francist

Active User
I was thinking clear heat shrink over top of a P-touch label, but I haven't tried it.

-frank

pontiac428

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Man, I just Impulse-bought some stamping blanks! Old school cool.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

whitmore

Registered
I was thinking clear heat shrink over top of a P-touch label...
If there's a tube part that suits some size of transparent heat-shrink, just a paper label underneath works fine. The TZ
tape is multilayer, there's already a transparent laminate covering the ink.

[6]
[5] [7]