Marking Oil Cans - Any ideas?

As others have mentioned ... P-touch. I use the extra strength adhesive applied to a very clean and dry surface without any issues.

I have a really old Dymo-Mite machine which embosses, punches round holes in the end of and cuts off Stainless and Aluminium strip labels.

If there's a tube part that suits some size of transparent heat-shrink, just a paper label underneath works fine. The TZ
tape is multilayer, there's already a transparent laminate covering the ink.

Yeah I get that part, I was just thinking if there was question about how long the adhesive might stick the clear shrink tube might mitigate that. I actually just use a plain paper strip and cover it over with 2" clear packing tape. I've not had to redo any yet, but it is limited to cylindrical surfaces and not complex curves.

-frank

I cannot find these on Harbor Freight‘s website. Do you know what Harbor Freight calls them ?
I have a half-dozen of the red Harbor Freight pressure oilers, I masked off the bottom halves and sprayed each with a different rattle-can color, then lettered the oil type on each with black enamel. They've held up pretty well for several years. I really like the brass tags idea posted earlier, however....

In my experience, the most permanent have been regular old DYMO embossed plastic tape labels. I have some on solvent cans that have held up for decades. . .

Back