Marking Oil Cans - Any ideas?

That's what I have been doing too.
Holds up well.
I wipe the oil can clean with acetone, let it dry and paint with paint marker pen. Get them at any metal supply outfit, they go over dirt, scale, and light oil pretty well.

cheers
michael

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

L
Great minds think alike, I was thinking the very same thing.
I also use P-Touch labels but, after the label is applied, I wrap the can with 2" wide clear box sealing tape.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I am not familiar with P-touch labels...

The printers are inexpensive, the tape (TZ type is the best for oil-resistance) will cost ya. The surface
they stick to has to be clean and flat or cylindrical (so hemisphere oilcans are problematic).

I took pieces of different color heat shrink and put a short piece on the tube of each can

P-touch here also. I have 2 of them, purchased for $1 apiece at my local thrift shop. Chinese TZ tape seems to be as good as the genuine article. I'm like Sheldon, everything gets labeled, including the label-maker. (No urine cup, though.)

I took pieces of different color heat shrink and put a short piece on the tube of each can
You can take this one step further ... Use a Sharpie to write on the shrink tubing before shrinking. Shrinkage will intensify the darkness of the mark, and it's pretty permanent.

I was thinking clear heat shrink over top of a P-touch label, but I haven't tried it.

-frank

Man, I just Impulse-bought some stamping blanks! Old school cool.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I was thinking clear heat shrink over top of a P-touch label...

If there's a tube part that suits some size of transparent heat-shrink, just a paper label underneath works fine. The TZ
tape is multilayer, there's already a transparent laminate covering the ink.

Back