Martin Dlz 502

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In a previous post I told about getting my new lathe home. Well I finally got it hooked up and running. Runs like a Swiss watch:)

I had to run 240 volts to my phase converter, which I then hooked to a 600 volt step up converter which in turn went to the lathe. I am having a couple issues with the motor, I'm not sure if it is because it had been sitting? It doesn't want to start and seems like its drawing a lot of current. I had a certified electrician check over my work ,but he wasn't there when I started it for the first time. I am wondering if I have one low leg on one of the phases? Going to have the electrician back to trouble shoot.

Other than that I changed out the oil cleaned up the glass reservoir so you can see that the oil pump is working. Ran it thru all of the speeds and feeds , everything is smooth and quiet.:)
Once I get the motor sorted out I'll get some pictures making some chips.
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same power arrangement as you have (performing well for several years). I have a 5 horse 240V phase converter, which supplies a panel going to several 240 3 phase machines. I have one circuit hardwired to a 600V transformer, which is hardwired to my Maho mill (and a 600V cord for plugging in a 600V saw).

The Maho mill has a 2 speed motor (4 pole / 8 pole) – only 2.2 / 1.25 kw – which works out to 3.1 or 2.6 amps. In other words, not much demand. The mill starts no problem on the low speed selection (which is where I usually run anyway). The motor is not happy starting on the high speed. It is not a big deal, since I can start at the low speed, then push the button for high speed. I’ve no doubt that if I had true power, it would start better on the high speed option.

It is similar on my larger lathe (3 & 5 HP). It starts great on the low speed, not so happy on the high speed (especially with a higher inertia load). Everything still works, I do most of my work on the lower motor setting and about 3 of the gear options.

Let us know how you make out. Regards, David

DSC02572.JPG

Do they use a start capacitor ? if your motor is drawing a lot it may need one or more? I had a rotary phase converter once and it had two in it one went bad and it would not start right till I had a new one installed in it. some motors have start and run capacitors, why I asked if they have one in your motor? 3 phase is another kind of animal for sure.

I took the motor apart today to check it out because the lathe hadn't run for 20 years. cleaned the armature and lubed the bearings , all seems fine. Its been pretty cold lately and I haven't had the heat on. I think that's half the problem, because the lathe starts fine once its warmed up. I'll maybe change to a lighter oil in the gearbox.
Anyways here are a few more picturesIMG_1166.JPG IMG_1167.JPG

Sorry about the side ways pictures. Not sure how to fix them.

Martin

Back