Mas VR2 questions.....

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, so I got the drill in place in my shop. Quite the ordeal because my machine shop is at the back of my barn in a small heated area. I wired it in to my phase converter. It runs great, all feeds work and the new leadscrew makes the up and down run really smooth.

My question, the oil in the site glass is at the proper level. There is a tube at the top that I expect to be a oil return line? Oil should be running from this tube while the motor is running? Its not. On my K&T mill it has basically the same sight glass and you can see oil running from a tube in there.

This drill has not been used in years . Do you think the oil pump needs to be primed somehow? I took the fill cover off and squirted oil in the gearbox to make sure everything is coated in oil so its not running dry while I tested it.
Has anyone here ran a Mas radial drill before that could give me some direction on this?
I posted this question on another site and a kind fellow from Denmark has been trying to send me a manual, but I cant open his attachments for some reason. He is going to copy the parts list from the manual so I can at least get an idea how the oil pump works.
Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 140
Have you tried adjusting the amount of oil flow at the casting boss just above the sight glass? That's a beautiful machine. Mike

Thanks Mike, I will have a look
Cheers

Mike that casting boss looks like a mount for a light
Thanks
Martin

Have you tried adjusting the amount of oil flow at the casting boss just above the sight glass? That's a beautiful machine. Mike
Hi Mike, That casting boss by the site glass , I thought was for a light, now I believe the coolant hose goes thru that and you can pinch off the flow of coolant?
I think my problem with the oil in the gearbox is the gear pump. I am going to pull the steel line and pump some oil in the steel line and see if I can get it to pump.
Cheers
Martin

Okay, lesson learned!!! Never assume. Someone had marked forward and reverse on the gearbox with a sharpie marker. When I wired the motor I had it turning so the gearbox was going the way he had it marked.
Long story short, after tearing this pump apart three times , it hit me maybe its turning backwards. Reversed the drive motor and oil pump is working:grin:
Maybe the guy before me was using left hand drill bits. Lol
Cheers
Martin

Back