Masking tape and superglue trick on lathe faceplate?

Dinwoodie Cutlery Concepts

Registered
Registered
Has anyone tried using the masking tape and superglue method of mounting work on a lathe faceplate? Does it hold up to the side forces generated by the cutting tool?

I would not place much reliance on glue and/or masking tape.

I use it all the time on my cnc router {wood} don't know if I would trust it on my lathe, guess it would depend on what I was doing.

It works until it doesn't. I tried it milling. When things got warm it would release. I ended up making custom hold down clamps.

Chris with Clickspring YouTube channel uses superglue to hold parts on his lathe quite often. Usually low mass this brass stock but worth checking out his videos about how he maximizes the effectiveness

Chris with Clickspring YouTube channel uses superglue to hold parts on his lathe quite often. Usually low mass this brass stock but worth checking out his videos about how he maximizes the effectiveness
My application would be low mass also. I want to put some different patterns on knife scales.

I did it a few weeks ago. I have a small aluminum face plate for parts that I can't hold easily.
it stayed on after giving it cure time after spraying it with kicker. I also think I used the tail stock and a tool on the tailstock that just takes the tip of the 60... for added insurance during heavy turning.

no problems...

Back