Massey Harris 30

Joncooey

Registered
Registered
Any one have any experience with these old Massey Harris'? Mine is stuck in first gear; supposed to be a common problem. I would appreciate it if you know a trick to get her back in neutral.
loader3.jpg
Thanks.
Jon.

Try here. If it's a top load trans, i.e. if the shift lever is mounted in a removable cover on top of the trans you can probably accomplishthis without emptying the trans.http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=501401 Mike
Thanks for the thread Mike. Mine is a little different, (Harris not a Ferguson) but your tip put me on the right track.
For future reference if anyone ends up in this situation with a Massey Harris, I pulled the gear selector out (removed a snap ring) used a pry bar to align the shift rails inside and reassembled. Took 10 minutes.
I had cold feet at first pulling this thing apart because you don't know how much of a mess that you are going to cause. Turns out, that's practically how they're meant to be serviced.
K.I.S.S.
Thanks to all who were interested.

Jon.

Glad it worked out as an easy fix for you! I had a similar problem with my MF 35. Was brush-hogging in 1st gear, shifted to reverse and couldn't get it out of reverse. Drove it back to my shop in reverse and started pulling stuff off. The trans cover has the shift levers on it, but also the steering column. Had to pull the hood, fuel tank, instrument panel and column to get the trans cover off. Much to my chagrin I couldn't find anything wrong. Shift lever bottom end ball was well into the forks, shifted either side of the trans with a pinkie. Put it all back together and haven't had a problem since. Of course, putting that in print now guarantees I'll have the problem again . . .

Bruce

upload_2017-1-26_11-20-1.pngupload_2017-1-26_11-20-30.png

Back