Materal

boodogboo

Active User
Registered
I have a worn out pulley on one of my Gravely’s it looks to be cast. What materal should I use to make a new one, my smithy can handle 5”aluminum pretty good but 5” steel would be a lot of abuse. O.d.5” x 2” center hole 0.875 . Anyone like to have this job let me know. Thanksimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The bore and keyway look fine. Sure you couldn't repair it by recutting the slot for the belt?

I have a worn out pulley on one of my Gravely’s it looks to be cast. What materal should I use to make a new one, my smithy can handle 5”aluminum pretty good but 5” steel would be a lot of abuse. O.d.5” x 2” center hole 0.875 . Anyone like to have this job let me know. ThanksView attachment 291523View attachment 291523View attachment 291523
The bore and keyway look fine. Sure you couldn't repair it by recutting the slot for the belt?
sorry that is the good one, the one I need is busted and has been discarded.

If you can get rid of the protrusion for mounting to the shaft (e.g. by using a collar on the shaft, or making it a cylinder that is bolted to the pulley if th shaft is too short) then you can use a grey iron round : MSC Direct 8" dia 2" cast iron round (the 6" dia tops out at 1.5" thickness). This won't have the hard skin that cast iron does, so it will be easier on your tools.

If you need that shape, though, you probably have to make a mold and cast it. The cost of the metal would be astronomical otherwise (a 5" dia round that is 2" thich for the pulley and another 3-4" for the protrusion).

a 5" pulley is easily obtained

for $30 i wouldn't even mess around, i'd buy the pulley

Back