Material choice for spare lathe belt

AmericanMachinist

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I believe my 1940s 10" lathe is likely still is using the original factory belt.

I'd like to stock a spare that I can change without removing the spindle.

Is there any reason not to go with real leather (sewn at the seam per the manual)?

Another advantage of sticking to sewn leather is that I could also install a new belt now (without removing the spindle) and see if i pick up HP at the spindle due to lower propensity of the belt to slip due to oil impregnation.

I believe a grooved serpentine belt is also an option but it assumes you have CA glue that hasn't gone bad since you opened it...

Thanks,

Serpentine belt glued with Goop. MUCH better grip than leather.

I've never heard of anyone removing the spindle as an option to change a belt, is this ever done?
On my South Bend lathes, I use leather belting that is laminated with a nylon core, it prevents stretching and when properly tensioned it doesn't slip during any normal machining. It is available from McMaster Carr. I join it with "Alligator" metal lacing, also from MMC. The lacing allows quick removal/replacement of the belt. The only drawback IMHO is the lacing can be a PITA to install but I came up with a jig for making it easier. Some may also not like the rhythmic "clack" as the lacing goes over the sheaves, but I'm use to it and find it somewhat soothing.

Serpentine belt glued with Goop. MUCH better grip than leather.
Mr. W
Are you talking something like Shoe Goo/? (my adhesive of choice, bought by the handfuls)! I have a serpentine belt on my lathe that I glued with Super Glue. It has lasted about 5 years but looks like it could come apart any day. I didn't think Goop would be strong enough. I'd be glad to know otherwise.
Aaron

Goop and Shoe Goo seem to be the same stuff, sticks like s--t to a blanket.

Mr. W
Are you talking something like Shoe Goo/? (my adhesive of choice, bought by the handfuls)! I have a serpentine belt on my lathe that I glued with Super Glue. It has lasted about 5 years but looks like it could come apart any day. I didn't think Goop would be strong enough. I'd be glad to know otherwise.
Aaron
Yes, Goop is just a slightly more fluid form of Shoe Goo. I started out with Shoe Goo to repair a pair of sandals and discovered it was a very tough, tenacious glue. I had no success with super glue on my serpentine belt, so I did a test splice with Shoe Goo. I still haven't been able to tear it apart. When my tube of Shoe Goo got low I ordered some Goop. Wouldn't be without it now, there isn't much it won't stick to.

Alligator belt lace is awful clunky stuff, I have always used either Indian tanned belt lace or Clipper belt lace, the only drawback being that one needs their belt lacer to do the job, look for one on e bay; there are two sizes, ond for small thin belts and another for all larger belts, some are used in a vise, and some are independent of vises.

I have used for years used or new serpentine belts..bevel ends. Weldon’s contact glue. Clamp. Drill holes in ribs. Heavy thread.sew with tie off knots on smooth side. Ribs on pulley side. Same one on my Sheldon for 5-6 years. Have made several for others with no issues.

I used a serpentine belt
cut it to length
glued and sewed with 60 lb fishing line
so far ( about 5 years) it has worked great no slippage with good load.

A lot of things will work if it is only going to be a short term spare. I tried a ratchet binder strap. It worked.

Back