Material Question

revrnd

Registered
Registered
I've been using some hammer faces (that are described hard white nylon) on some specialty hammers. A couple of users have reported that the nylon isn't standing up to their use, (chipping ice and snow from snowmobile track suspensions). It's not the ice, that's causing the damage but the edges on the parts.

2014-Ski-Doo-MXZ-TNT-1200-4-TEC-rMotion.jpg

I've made a pair out of Delrin for one of the folks to test. I'm only using Delrin as a test, since I have some on hand. I'm not sure if Delrin is a better or worse substitute material for the nylon.

So now my question, can anyone suggest a readily available 'plastic' that won't gouge in use or fracture
in the cold (below freezing temps)?

TIA

Delrin is pretty good stuff, I'd see how your people like the hammers made from it before seeking out something else.

John

Rubber maybe. Different durometer available, good to -20F. Mike

I have had the same Snap On dead blow hammer for over 40 years, it's got some signs of use but no failure points. What are they made from? Polyurethane like in chassis bushings seems tough....Do we still have the plastic sponsor?

@Aukai has it right, polyurethane would be the first choice. UHMW would be cheap and takes a beating, a little softer than nylon.

I'd try cutting some from a hockey puck. Might work.
Ultimately these 'heads' have a hard life and should be cheap and easy to replace.

The hockey puck idea might be worth trying. Those things are almost indestructible.

Joe

Back