[Source] Material sourcing

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Okay I have a oldish v-twin style air compressor pump that I had gotten years ago and had reconfigured my compressor with this pump head. Idk what make the pump is other than a guess by original color which is a green/mint green maybe? Curtis/ Gardner Denver? The head gasket blew last week on one cylinder so I took the heads off cut out two new gaskets and sealed it up.
I decided to take the valves out of the heads. Intakes look good no real wear so I’m able to just lap them and the matting surfaces and I should be good. McMaster Carr had conical springs that were a match so those are good. The exhaust valves have pitting and are thin I don’t think I can lap them to clean up like the others. Here’s a pic. 021CDF9F-2575-46AB-B95C-839489973A1D.jpeg
I need to find a replacement valve. It’s thin .015 stainless I believe. Could be spring stainless idk.
I took washers that are stainless with the same dimension and am in the process of trying to grind down to the .015. Washers now are .045 Ive ground four, one side only and it was a task. I’m supergluing to a piece of steel then using the mag chuck. My first attempts failed. Not using coolant with .0002 depths of cut the washer would buckle and break the bond. I was successful the third try by using a better glue and spraying coolant on the washers manually.
Now I have the ground side glued down and I have to bring to thickness. Washers measure .040 I need to take .025 off. I don’t know and I don’t think it’s gonna be doable??? At.0002 rips it will be hours!!
Anyone have a better way or a source of these discs? 1” OD .375ID and .015 thick.
I’ve been searching and can find valve rebuilds not exactly the same looking and without measurements to compare from and they’re 60-80 bucks a pc. I would replace all four which I’m not liking that price.
So any thoughts on material to use or source of better pricing or way to go about making these discs? Any thoughts welcome thanks.

Post a picture of the compressor and any markings. Some one might know what it is.

That valve looks like a common part sold as an assembly.

That valve looks like a common part sold as an assembly.
Would you have any direction on source. The ones I’ve found do not look exactly the same and do not have specs as to dimensions to compare.

Here’s some pics of pump. Note there’s no numbers or marking next to model. Flywheel has 12/6/65.
008A02A9-249E-4AF9-B96F-C0CBE3B1B383.jpegF2284996-7030-421B-B57B-1CFB127EF0BD.jpeg28BDBDEC-7120-4C6F-944B-6BDC04A865E6.jpegAF8D4EC2-F226-45AB-BA9F-52A21DC60FAD.jpegE051B35C-3846-4158-9515-958449565D4B.jpeg

Take some shim stock or anything at the .015". Sandwich between wood or metal with a thread of some sort so you can machine and keep them pressed together. Have at her!

Champion compressor? Try Barton Air in Hamilton. I'm sure they would ship to the States. They stock a lot of parts for older compressors.
Cheers
Martin

Back