Matt offered me a 3ph motor Now wiring the VFD?

I have desided to go with a new 3ph upgrade from Matt. The caps didn’t work so mat thinks the centrifical switch is dead. Now while I was researching 3ph conversion, I saw a post on wiring the PM932 forword, stop reverse switch, and E-stop so as not to release the smoke out of the new parts, being the dummy I am, I didn’t mark it for reference. Now I can’t seem to find it again. Most likely I’ll be using a WJ200 VFD.
Thanks
CH

Reactions: HMF
Simple basic rules. Make sure the VFD is the last thing before the motor. No switches or other controls between VFD and motor. All control wiring must end up at the VFD. The VFD controls the motor. The controls will be low voltage and will go to the low voltage side of the VFD. The high voltage wires only go from wall to VFD and from VFD to motor.

This would be for a mill, so one would not need relays and would use what is called 3 wire control. This uses momentary switched for the start and stop, and a sustained switch for forward/reverse. Some files are listed, if you indicate what you want then I can give you something more specific. You probably want to put the VFD in an enclosure, but this varies, I have my VFD in my cabinet base. There are some Nema 4 sealed VFD's with a power switch but they tend to be a bit more. There was an older posting specific to the 932, but I cannot find it. We combined the machine control box and rewired things a bit, we added the momentary stop/run switches and rewired the for rev switch to the VFD inputs. The 932 power contactor turned on the VFD power. Check/PM with Jay-Z on what he did. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-932-capacitor-explosion.46096/page-2
Mark

Mill Control 2018.01.25.jpg

932 Mill 3 wire with USP.jpg

Attachments

• VFD Mill CONNECTIONS for 3 wire rev date 21 FEB 2017.pdf
    737.8 KB · Views: 351
  • Mill 2-3HP WJ200 VFD programming parameters.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 417
  • VFD enclosurer wiring 240VAC single phase.pdf.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 314
CH, Mark will get you the info you need, he was an invaluable help with my VFD conversion.

The Hitachi VFD's are very nice and not too difficult to setup.

BTW if you want to do a POD like the one shown above, the enclosure is from McMaster Carr, $28.81. plus shipping.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#7301k37/=1d6pwt1

Or if you are not going to use a tach or mount the tach separately you could consider this less expensive option. $12.00

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ghting/Enclosures/Pushbutton_Enclosures/SA111

t_sa111.jpg

All the switches 22mm and are from Automation Direct.

Mark has all the part numbers for the switches included in his drawings.

You just need to choose which functions you want, I went with the lighted Emergency Stop and it's great to be able to see the power status from a distance.

Here is mine, tach not installed yet.

go52FfhK_o.jpg

Here's a picture during the programming stage once we got it working.
You probably don't need as much as I have in there as I included everything that I might need in the future and the fan just in case, but probably not needed.
CR1niTsb_o.jpg

David.

I have the motor paid for and it should be on its way soon. I ordered a Hitachi WJ200-0015fs VFD, the 10 turn pot is coming from Amazon, an I ordered 8/4 shielded cable, for vfd to motor, not sure what I need from the vfd to the remote control box. Got a box like David's POD from McMaster Carr. I have large NEMA steel box for the VFD wall install. I have 8/3 G from Braker box to VFD for L1 L2? Thinking that 16ga shielded will work for the POD. Man when start getting into this, there is a lot to think about, I'm wanting to put a tack on the spindle some place so I know what RPM I'm at as well. Any thing else I need to think about? Other than the million I don't know about. LOL Man I pulled the motor off the mill today and that thing smelt fried. Going to look at the centrifugal switch tomorrow I think the smoke escaped from it last week.
Thanks
CH

Last edited:
You might look at this old post as to a simple install on the 932. What can be done is to hook-up the VFD power to the main contactor so it works just like the old machine and then just add a pair of momentary switches for the run/stop function. The forward/reverse switch is striped of the high voltage, no connection to the VFD digital inputs is need to run forward, in reverse it makes a sustained contact with input 3. Power cable into the VFD for 2 Hp would only need 12AWG, three phase power to the motor from the VFD would be 14AWG as the motor amps are probably 4-5A. If your 932 does not have powered Z drive then it is probably easiest to just build a complete new system with control pod similar to one of the designs outlined above.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm932-mill-motor-upgrade.64260/#post-534002

CH, for the POD wiring you can use anything from 22AWG to 18AWG shielded. (16AWG/10C might be a bit expensive if you have to buy it)

You will need minimum 9 conductors for the POD Controls including the Tach. (make sure you get stranded conductors, not solid)

I had some 22AWG 15 Conductor shielded wire left over from a job so I used that.

If you haven't seen my VFD install here's a link, hope it helps. It starts on the previous page post #116
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ady-to-start-lathe-mill-shopping.51470/page-5

David.

PS don't copy my wiring in post #129, that was backwards and the mill would only run in one direction.

Back