Mattsson & Zetterlund VF600 Restoration

Red Baron FC

Registered
Registered
Hello. Recently I bought myself a birthday present. No need to mention that my wife was not so excited as me :) This is my first serious machine. It is Mattson & Zetterlund VF600 (small) vertical milling machine. More about this machine can be found at: http://www.lathes.co.uk/mattsson&zetterlund/ . I hope I will restore it properly so it
will shine and be used again as intended. For sure, I will need advice and help down the path, so, I will post a pictures, comments and questions here. Wish me a luck :)

There is some pictures of machine as it was when arrived.

IMG_20181119_103431.jpg

IMG_20181119_103442.jpg

IMG_20181119_103532.jpg

It took me about three hours to disassemble main parts. I was able to do it by myself. At the second picture a big round hole can be seen. Through this hole screws for tightening axis nuts can be reached. To disassemble table, screw that tightens X axis nut must be loosen, completely. I was not know that at the time of disassemble, so, I was take down table with saddle. Much harder way. Although there was chip guard to protect Y axis screw the column of the machine was full of chips. It can be seen at third picture what was in the machine column. Main parts can be seen at fourth picture, table in front, small wise that was came with machine, Z axis angle adjusting housing with worm gear, spindle, X axis power feed, and Y axis saddle. Next two days was gone in removing grease and dirt from column and base of the machine.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

I was need a help of a friend to move column in to the shop. Column are lighter than base. We are barely succeed to move the base. More cleaning and removing dirt and grease from base. Almost five hours, using this special chemical for this purpose, shown on first picture. Way oil is a pretty sticky thing. AKRA K2 is a nasty thing. It dissolve grease, but it soften and dissolve paint too. Whole lot of a mess just to get base of the machine at stage shown at next few pictures.

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

Today was sunny day, so I fulfill it with more cleaning the remaining parts from machine. Not so interesting at all. But just to say this activity swallow more four hours. Again, way oil, especially old way oil is a pretty sticky. Then rest of the day I start a rebuilding process. There is a picture of two part chip guard metal plate after cleaning. There is some rust but nothing dramatic. By the help of 200 grit water sandpaper it became almost clear enough. Third and four picture show state after sanding. I was not satisfied so, I try jeweling it. Officially my first attempt to do jeweling can be seen on fifth picture. I use 50mm blue scotch brite pad with WD-40 and move it by 25mm in both directions. Second attempt with 12.5mm moving pattern and final result. First finished part. :)

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

It looks like a nice machine for a home shop. Reading the post on lathes.co.uk and seeing it has a 30 taper spindle and is solidly built makes it all the more interesting.

I like the jeweling. That looks nice! There's a good post on the Svenska Elektonikforumet showing a conversion to cnc. It has plenty of pics of the machine apart which is useful even without the cnc part. You may need to join to see pics: http://elektronikforumet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71104

I converted the manual to English, but lost it to a hard drive crash. I started over, but haven't added in the images, yet. Send me a message with your email address if you want a copy.

Here's what mine looks like-

I like the jeweling. That looks nice! There's a good post on the Svenska Elektonikforumet showing a conversion to cnc. It has plenty of pics of the machine apart which is useful even without the cnc part. You may need to join to see pics: http://elektronikforumet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71104

I converted the manual to English, but lost it to a hard drive crash. I started over, but haven't added in the images, yet. Send me a message with your email address if you want a copy.

Here's what mine looks like-

Thank you for your replay. I plan to convert it to CNC, some day. :) but for now, I do now want to bite something that I can not chew :)

O, off topic ... but how crazy is it that here on the forum we have a Serbian and an American discussing a (relatively obscure, from what I understand from lathes.co.uk) Swedish machine tool that they both own?

I'm just waiting for an Australian or east Asian member to chime in and say he has one, too! :)

Back